A question about a recipe: Okonomiyaki

061511f_514

I have a question about the recipe "Okonomiyaki" from Midge.
I can't wait to try this recipe. Do you use raw shrimp or cooked? Thanks!

asked by pamelalee about 3 years ago
Miglore

Kristen is the Executive Editor of Food52

We used uncooked -- fresh and frozen (and thawed) both worked well!

I'm making that tonight too! Do you think cooked diced chicken (pounded thin and chopped) would well?

Sounds good to me!

Summer_2010_1048

As Kristen says, raw shrimp is the way to go. @Sam1148, can't wait to hear about chicken works!

Mrs._larkin_370

Mrs. Larkin is a trusted source on Baking.

FYI, I used cooked small shrimp when I made these, and that worked great for me. They were not tough at all. But I think raw would be best.

My mom made this for me as a kid and used chicken and steak. It's unconventional but we also used to eat it with A-1 sauce. We had Japanese foreign exchange students who taught us how to make it.

It turned out pretty good with the chicken. Chopped in tiny cubes, soaked in soy sauce a bit. Pre-Cooked..then cooled and added to the mix.

I had to adjust proportions and think I may have added too much egg/flour compared to the glam pic. So they where a bit 'foo young' with a more heavy coating. Next time I'll back off on the flour egg mix--or add more 'stuff'. Used 2 eggs and about 1/4 cup of flour. 1 cup cabbage, 1 cup of chopped chicken, 1/3 cup of scallions. Needed a bit more cabbage to lighten it out.

Still, excellent! A great recipe and quick to throw together.
(I served both the sauce in the recipe--as a dipping sauce, and some A1 sesame oil, ginger powder drizzle on the side).