🔎

What's the most efficient method to extract juice from ginger? I thought I was so clever when I recently used a garlic press, but I have my doubts...

Mack_9-24-06_cropped_small
SueonFood added over 3 years ago

A microplaner works beautifully. You are getting some ginger pulp too, but that adds more flavor. Incidentally, off the topic, but still about ginger - nothing is better than juicing together a thick slice of ginger with a granny smith apple and 2 carrots. Throw in a beet for something really yummy.

Mack_9-24-06_cropped_small
MPB added over 3 years ago

Heavenly daze, SueonFood; ginger, apple, carrots and beets are my favorite for juicing...! The combination results in the most amazing flavors...!

I'd better buy a microplaner for my ginger juice...

SueonFood added over 3 years ago

Great minds...

You'll love the microplaner for lemon zest and Parmesan cheese too.

Scan0004
susan g added over 3 years ago

I can think of about 6 reasons why my microplaner does not work on ginger -- so I do use a very good garlic press (Pampered Chef), or the Japanese white porcelain ginger grater -- just catch the juice. But there must be a better way.

Dsc03010
betteirene added over 3 years ago

My garlic press gets used with ginger more than it does with garlic. (I'm a garlic smasher/mincer/paste-maker with a knife on a nylon cutting board.)

I've been playing with ginger and baked goods for a couple of winters. I'm trying to perfect recipes for cakey ginger cookies with ginger icing and a ginger raisin yeast bread. I use ginger juice in both recipes, but I don't want ginger fibers in either one. In between baking sessions, I throw the ginger, wrapped in plastic, in the freezer.

It could be all in my head, but I swear that frozen and thawed ginger is juicier than fresh ginger. Maybe one day soon, I'll pretend to be Alton Brown and will take precise measurements--by weight, not volume--of fresh vs. frozen ginger juice.

52
pauljoseph added over 3 years ago

If you want more than 1/2 cup of ginger juice use this method http://chinesefood.about...

52
pauljoseph added over 3 years ago

G the great the ginger like this then you can wrap the gratings in cheesecloth before squeezing and squeeze the juice through cheesecloth.we usually do like this to make ginger lemon

Birthday_2012

Meg is a trusted home cook.

I have a beautiful Japanese ginger grater that I use. It takes a while but meditative. I seriously have to learn how to use a camera better so I can start posting pictures. Can't remember where I got it but it's like a tiny pottery bowl with shallow spikes on one side. Rub the ginger over the shallow spikes and the juice will collect on the smooth side.