🔎

• 2

• 966

A question about a recipe: Saag Paneer

I have a question about step 1 on the recipe "Saag Paneer" from merrill. It says:

"Using an electric coffee grinder or a mortar and pestle, grind the spices together as finely as possible. This spice mixture can be stored in an airtight container for a few weeks, but its potency will decrease over time. Makes about 1/4 cup. "

A lot of recipes seem to have you toast the cumin etc first. I'm wondering why not here?

122010f_500
Dscf0037_2
New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

I make this recipe at least twice a month -- I am making it tonight in fact -- and I always, out of habit, gently toast the cumin and coriander. It gives a nice richness and depth to the spice blend. The recipe for the spice mix provides enough for several batches. I use it for other things, too. ;o)

Dsc_0122.nef-1
Panfusine added almost 3 years ago

toasting/not toasting the cumin simply brings out a variation in flavor. (I personally seldom do). there really are no set rules in making Saag paneer (or any Punjabi dish for that matter), just personal preferences. Get 20 ppl to describe the way to make it & you'll get 20 different answers, every one of them as delicious as the other. just go with the flow..