🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

Chilling refreshing drinks on a picnic and a budget

I am going on a picnic tomorrow and I want to make an adult beverage for it. I am going to make the Retro Raspberry Lime Rickey recipe I found on here and throw some gin or vodka in it. I want to be able to keep it cool, but I don't have a cooler or picnic basket, nor a thermos I can chill.. what is the best way to transport this drink and keep it cool?

asked by fellowworker over 3 years ago
Buddhacat

Use the vodka to chill the drink. Take a milk container, or something like that, put the voka bottle in it, fill it with water and freeze. Wrap it in newspaper before you travel, that will keep the cold in. Have your raspberry mixture ready, refrigerated, and wrap in newspaper. Mix on site. The vodka won't freeze and it have a lovely thick, cold consistency. Newspaper is what my grandparents used before ice makers and coolers.

Another thing you can do is make your own ice packs - 3 parts water, one part rubbing alcohol (or water mixed with salt) poured into ziploc bags and freeze overnight. Pack these around your raspberry mixture in a plastic grocery bag and carry that way, or place in a tote alongside the vodka.

Buddhacat

@GreenLass, great idea. Live and learn - this is one of the reasons I love foodpickle

If you don't have far to travel. A bag of ice put in a cardboard box lined with newspaper and/or old magazine and a garbage bag works fine. Plus you'll have ice for the drinks.

Debbykalk-photo

Also, you can make ice cubes out of any of the non-alcoholic ingredients. Freeze a raspberry in each cube. It's great for other drinks, too, like iced tea: prevents the drink from getting watered down.