What to use with Beet Pulp?

My farmer's market is still selling beets so I've been buying one or two a week to juice, freeze into cubes and add to my morning raw fruit smoothies. It cuts back some of the sweetness from the fruit, adds a beautiful color as well as added health benefits. After juicing I end up with this beautiful red pulp. I HATE to waste ANYTHING. Any ideas on what I can do with beet pulp besides throw it away (or compost it...) I thought I had heard it could be added to bakeds breads or even cakes...

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer about 3 years ago
Gator_cake

I know they use beet pulp as a source of soluble fiber in dog food, it's a good source of fructooligosaccarides (sp?) which are really good for the intestinal cells. I think adding it to bread is a great idea. Let us know what you come up with and how it works out!

Uruguay2010_61

We feed it to our horses . . they love it!

My mom makes this amazing dip for pita chips that's shredded steamed beets with olive oil, vinegar (balsamic, or lemon juice), a tiny bit of sugar, salt, pepper, and crushed garlic. I'm sure you could use the beet pulp, if you steam it a little, or saute.

Wholefoods_user_icon

Thanks for the suggestions so far! I'm thinking about tweeking a chocolate zucchini bread and adding in beets and ginger and maybe even a hint of lemon; or maybe a banana bread with the same ingredients. Haven't decided yet...@sarah K I love the dip recipe! I am definitely going to try and see if the beet pulp will work.

Anita_date
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

Yes. If you have a dehydrator you can use the pulp to make the most delicious vegetable crackers, with flax and cashews. Do you have one?

Wholefoods_user_icon

@anitaelectric no I do not have a dehydrator. That is on my list of need to gets because Ive been wanting to follow a raw diet for some time now. However, I do know a friend who owns one who may let me borrow. Vegetable crackers sound super yummy and something I would definitely enjoy!

Bike2

I think it would be really interesting to make an ice cream from beet pulp...imagine the color! I would also suggest using some with buttermilk for a savory blender drink. Or use some with Greek yogurt for a savory lassi or chilled soup.

Bike2

P.S. In case you don't eat dairy, then why not work some beet pulp back into your drink?

Anita_date
Anitalectric

If you can get your hands on that dehydrator for one night, all you need to do is mix the beet pulp, some cashew cream (cashews soaked at least 4 hours, then drained, rinsed, covered just to top with filtered water and blended), ground flax seeds, whole flax seeds, salt and spices of your choice.

I don't have exact measurements but you just add a little of this and that until it is the consistency of thick pesto and holds together. You can either transfer to a piping bag and pipe out small dollops onto teflex sheets or lightly oiled parchment, then smoosh them down with a spatula (small crackers), or just spread 1/8" thick solid layers and cut into squares when dried (big crackers).

Either way, remember to flip over halfway (throw away paper at this point) through baking to get dry on both sides.

These are super filling and great to have around for snacks. Tons of fiber!