It isn't the quickest fix, but this will work over a day or so. I pour a beer (the sweeter or more malted, the better) in a bowl, then cover it with saran wrap. Using a small paring knife I poke many wholes in the saran, then leave it out on my counter. Usually after a full day I catch many little guys in there - they go in for the sweet, then can't get out. Change the beer as you like but I usually find it has 2 days of bug collection in it before I need to change it.

Dsc_0122.nef-1

Ya swat em..but seriously, they seem to be attracted to oil (although placing a lil container of oil near a bowl of fruit is a recipe for disasters of another type!)

Massimo's_deck_reflection_10_27_13

Like BreadandButter does, except I just set out bowl with wine, they will check it out and get trapped!

Gator_cake

I have good luck with apple cider vinegar traps. Shallow dish with apple cider vinegar and a drop of dish soap. I've tried other vinegars but the apple cider works best. A little left over wine (red is what I've used) in a bottle on the counter also does a good job.

Summer_2010_1048

Thanks so much everyone. Maybe I'll do a little experiment and report back on which method works best.

Wholefoods_user_icon

These are all great suggestions for getting rid of the adults, but they may be breeding in your kitchen sink drains and floor drains. in particular if you have a food disposal unit. it is very important to keep these drains clean in the summer and periodically send a little bleach down them to kill any larvae or pupae. if you are having major issues, try checking for minor leaks under the diswasher or sink cabinate. sour dishcloths and dishtoweles are favorite breeding grounds as well.

Summer_2010_1048

Yikes, thanks Michael. And just for the record, eight out of 10 fruit flies seem to prefer apple cider vinegar/dish liquid to (rose) wine.

5.15.11_coconut_macaroons_best_sm

I use BreadandButter's fix, but with about half and half white wine and white or apple cider vinegar. They go crazy for it. Especially if you put a small piece of fresh very ripe pineapple in the center of it.

Melissa Clark

Melissa Clark is a food columnist for the New York Times and has written over 32 cookbooks, including the recent Cook This Now.

The wine and vinegar methods never work for me. Instead I just cover my fruit with a tea towel. It really keeps them away!
http://www.melissaclark...