Waffles sticking and splitting - any tips?

Hi,

I'm having a lot of problems with my waffles sticking to the iron. We've just bought a nice new waffle iron and 8 times out of 10 they stick so badly you can't make any more until the plates have been soaked and cleaned. I grease the plates with a silicone pastry brush and canola oil and clean them really throughly in between uses (the plates are removable).

Does anyone have any great tips for getting them to not stick and then split? Does the waffle recipe itself make much difference?

Thanks,
Emma

asked by Poires au Chocolat about 3 years ago
Port2

Hi,

Two things occur to me: the first is temperature. The waffle batter may be sticking bacause the iron is not sizzling hot enough when you start to cook. The seoncd is that you could try with spray-on Canola oil for more even coverage or use butter with an old-fashioned bristle brush, that sometimes is mroe efficent than the sillicone. Good luck!

Headshot

Thanks for your reply!

As far as temperature is concerned, I do wait until the indicator light turns off. Do you think it might heat up further after it has reached the indicator temp?

I'm going to look and see if I can find a spray but I don't think I've seen one here (in Switzerland). The last time I tried my bristle brush it burnt the tips!

Thanks again,
Emma

Junechamp

I use a Misto to spray oil on my waffle iron. But the other method I like is soaking a paper towel with oil and wiping it on. (Wear an oven mitt when you do this, though.)

I wonder if the thermostat of your new waffle iron could be off, and it's not heating high enough? Not sure how you would check that, though.

Port2

Hi Emma,

It might keep heating after the light goes off. You may as well try that to see if it works...

I don't know where you live, but I've seen spray oils in Geneva at Globus and at Migros. Here is one example from the Migros site, but they ususally have a much better selection in the shops themselves. http://www.leshop.ch/leshop...

All best!

Headshot

I'll try heating it for an extra few minutes before using it and see if that helps. I'm off to Migros now so hopefully I can find some spray oil if I search a little harder.

Thank you all!

Port2

Have fun at the Migros!

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

I'd call the manufacturer's customer support line on this one, especially given that it's a fairly new item. They should be able to help you troubleshoot. If they don't have a help number, go to their website and send them an email, today. Good luck! ;o)

Headshot

I found some olive oil spray in Coop - our Migros is quite small so I'm not too surprised they didn't have any. It's extra virgin though so I'll have to see if you can taste it (it shouldn't cause problems on a waffle maker, right? I know you shouldn't generally heat extra virgin too much).

I've also found the website for the waffle maker. I'll try again with the rest of the batter from earlier and if I have a problem again I'll contact them.

Thanks :)

Sara_clevering

Sounds like things are resolved; but I use a silicone brush so I don't have to worry about burning the tips (which of course I have done!). I think that it probably does get hotter even when the indicator light says it's ready. I've noticed that subsquent batches seem to go faster in mine. Ah, but it's been too long since I made waffles!

Port2

I'm pretty sure the olive oil will stand up to the heat, but I think AntoniaJames' recomendation is a great idea! Let us know how it works out :)

Scan0004

I would try the sizzle test -- just flick a little water on the plates from your fingertips -- it should sizzle. Also, if the plates are non-stick, I think they are actually more likely to stick. My mother's waffle iron had cast iron plates which became conditioned over time, so they were unlikely to stick; if you have something along those lines, you should clean them like other cast iron, without soap or detergent, since that takes off the 'patina'. Another factor -- I find waffles split if they are not sufficiently cooked through, so they may need a little more time. Hope you resolve this. We love waffles!

Headshot

The plates are solid cast aluminium and it recommends hot water and a little soap so I think I've been treating them right. It may well be that they'll improve with use - it was an expensive machine so I'll complain if it doesn't improve. I'll try the sizzle test and try cooking them a bit longer before trying to open it too.

This is such a fabulous idea - it's wonderful to have a place to get all this advice! I'm going to have a go in a minute so I'll let you all know how it goes.

Headshot

Sadly despite all your helpful tips once again the waffle stuck firmly to both sides and split when I tried to open it. I'm going to email the company in a minute and maybe try with one of the recipes in the manual. It's so sad when you're looking forward to a lovely waffle and it doesn't work!

Port2

Sounds frustrating! I had another idea: is your batter too cold when you ladle it onto the iron? Or is it more liquid than it ought to be?

But other than trying the company's recommended recipes, I think you ought to contact them,as AJ said. There may be a problem with your particular waffle iron.

Sara_clevering

Yes, it seems like it shouldn't be THIS hard to make it work. You can honestly say you've tried everything, (as you steel yourself for doubtless much time and aggravation getting this resolved).

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

I had an expensive waffle maker years ago that gave me the same kind of grief. I never did figure it out. I ended up getting rid of it and buying a modest non-stick one, which works like a charm. They're traditional (not Belgian) round waffles. Nothing fancy, but the darn thing works and that's what matters! ;o) P.S. If you can't resolve it following the manufacturer's suggestions, take/send it back and ask for a full refund.

Headshot

Really pleased to say that I've just tried the waffle recipe from the manual and it worked! I've never been so pleased to open a waffle maker before (or so nervous while the first one cooked - it was like making macarons and waiting for feet!). It's even a really tasty and easy recipe.

Thank you so much for all your help and suggestions!

Port2

all well that end's well :)

Sunshine-small
Peter

While Peter no longer works for Food52 he still thinks up ways to make the website better.

I know it's late but thought I'd chime in. First, every waffle maker I've seen of late has non-stick plates -- not "cast aluminum". That sounds like your primary culprit right there.

Second, I never spray mine with oil -- I take a stick of butter and run it over the hot surface. I suppose technically the butter may get past it's smoke point but I've never noticed a problem.

Third, it seems odd that some recipes would stick and others (the one from the manual) would work. Maybe there was something odd about the recipe you used? Interested in posting the ingredients so the Foodpickle community can do a little forensic analysis on it? ;-)

Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

Apologies for the spam. We're working to fix the situation.

Headshot

Peter - thanks for your advice. I also had the same problem with making waffles (all the same recipe) in our previous waffle maker before it died - which was a non-stick type. I might try butter, thank for that. The recipe in the book was quite different to the one I was using before - it's yeasted and thicker - so maybe that's what is making the difference!

Sunshine-small
Peter

It's been a while since I've made waffles but I do recall my batter to be quite thick when compared to, say, pancake batter. Maybe that thinner batter recipe of yours was the problem.

Port2

I find the thick, yeasty batters are best for waffles. The thin, crepey ones-- well, as you saw. They don't work. Glad you found the solution!

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

One more general tip . . . . something that occurred to me when I made waffles this morning. (We make waffles here a lot. In fact, dessert waffles -- a bit of extra sugar in the batter, topped with ice cream and seasonal fruit -- are a favorite.) Anyway, it's important to get the iron good and hot for the best waffles. So, once the indicator light says the waffle iron is ready, I add on at least another ten minutes or so. Mr. T. told me that eons ago, when he was a bachelor making waffles for himself, the first one never came out well. I suspect that a less-than-optimally-hot iron may be the explanation. Also, I always add about 1/4 less the liquid called for, at first, then add more only if necessary. As Peter noted, thicker batter is better for waffles. Much better. ;o)

Instead of butter, which tends to brown quickly on a waffle iron, I would suggest using clarified butter instead.

I like to use a thickish batter, but to add separate the eggs. Add the yolks into the primary phase with the rest of the ingredients. Whisk the egg whites until soft peaks and fold them in. You get the right thickness (wetness really), and some lightness from the egg whites.

my waffles do the same thing if I don't allow them to cook long enough. make sure you aren't opening up the iron too soon.???

Headshot

Thank you for all the new advice! I will definitely stick to thicker batters from now on.

seabirdskitchen - One of the other recipes in my manual used the separating technique so I might try that too. Thank you for suggesting it, it sounds like a good technique.

In my case, it was sticking and splitting because I used less oil than requested in the recipe.. :) ( way too much for my taste!)
So, now it works wonders:
2cups batter
1 1/3 cups water
1/4 cup oil

sprayed the iron lightly
and voi la
* "It is always breakfast somewhere""
Love
H.

So, now it works wonders:
2cups batter
1 1/3 cups water
1/4 cup oil

sprayed the iron lightly
and voi la
* "It is always breakfast somewhere""
Love
H.