🔎

Healthier Ice Cream Recipe

What are your favorite healthy ice cream recipes? I'm looking for something that would cut the fat out of my typical ice cream starter, so we can have homemade ice cream and still feel relatively healthy in this heat.

Photo-1
Image

If you're looking to cut out fat, why not just make sorbet? Here are a bunch of recipes:

Also, I've been known to dump regular milk and flavorings into my ice cream maker when i've been in desperate need of ice cream. I take it out when it's slushy. it doesn't keep very well, but it does satify the craving.

IlovePhilly added almost 3 years ago
Voted the Best Answer!

Okay, don't think I'm crazy til you've tried this. I started doing it about 5 years ago and I've never turned back!
Take several bananas, depending on the serving size you want. Slice 'em and stick 'em in the freezer for about 8 hours.
Take them out and put them in your food processor until smooth.
You can add vanilla exract to make it more vanilla-y but I swear, it does not taste like bananas.
You can also leave them in the freezer for longer (I always have a tuppy full in my freezer) but you may need to add a small amount of liquid during the blending process to make it less powdery. Any kind of milk will do. I've done everything from cream (so decadent!) to homemade almond milk (keeps it healthy).
A few chocolate chips and the berry of your choice makes it a "sundae!"
Also great for turning smoothies into milkshakes.

Catfish
NomNom added almost 3 years ago

I like 1c greek-style plain yogurt, 1/4c half & half, 1/4 fruit preserves, into a tiny ice cream maker, comes out soft serve and fruity in 15 minutes. You can add a spoon of sugar and/or vanilla.

Photo-1
Meatballs&Milkshakes added almost 3 years ago

Thanks for the answers! I think I might try the blueberry ice cream on here (http://www.food52.com/recipes...) and reduce the egg yolks and heavy cream, maybe add some greek yogurt?

keel added over 2 years ago

Years ago a friend shared this yummy recipe. In a blender, mix 1 lb frozen fruit (I like to freeze my own fresh fruit to use), 1 cup of soy milk (I use vanilla soy), 1/4 cup honey or agave nectar (I tend to use a little less since I use fresh, in season fruit), 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract. Blend until you get the desired consistency. It's easy and delicious!

Dsc_0675-x2a
Sagegreen added over 2 years ago

Gelato uses more milk than cream; look at Waverly's raspberry kirsch gelato.