A question about a recipe: Pabellon Criollo on Crispy Fried Plantains

7c932598-b1ae-44a0-be4d-c4b9101960fe--pabellon

I have a question about step 4 on the recipe "Pabellon Criollo on Crispy Fried Plantains" from MyCommunalTable. It says:

"Pull plantains from oil with a slotted spoon and place on paper towel lined cookie sheet. When cool enough to touch, place on counter and flatten with bottom side of a plate until 1/2 inch thick. It should be in an oval like rectangle shape. Drop into salted water. Repeat with all of the plantains. Soak for 1 minute."

What does soaking the plantains in salted water do? I double-fry plantains all the time and I´ve never heard of this, but am always curious to learn new techniques. Thanks!

asked by Elaura about 4 years ago
06ee28a3-81fa-495a-b199-18e15c73a1c2--hib_kitchen

I have been told that soaking the plantains for a few minutes in salted water makes them crisper. My friend says that her family does it, while another friend has never done it. I think in the end, it is your call. If you like the result that you have always gotten, why change? Godd question