🔔
🔎

I have a LOT of winter squash (butternut, delicata, sweet dumpling) from our CSA and I'm uninspired. I know I can store some of the whole squash for a while, but I don't have much room. Any fabulous ideas about what I can make (and possibly freeze) with it? I'm a bit weary of squash soups and simple roasted squash.

asked by BethFalk about 4 years ago

Well, my favorite is candied roasted squash - peel and cube squash, roast with salt, pepper, olive oil and brown sugar. But peeling squash is labor intensive. I wonder if you could roast/puree squash and freeze that and then use in recipes when inspiration hits (and/or thanksgiving).

How about squash muffins or quick breads?

I am a HUGE fan of using butternut squash in risotto, something about the taste just says fall to me. I have also tried a number of them in bread, just use your favorite zucchini bread recipe and sub grated squash. Depending on what squash you are using you might need to add some more seasonings.
There are also a number of casseroles where you can switch in some winter squashes. Try layering them with some butter potatoes and other root vegetables, then top with bachemel and bake (see picture). I have a few recipes on my blog (dancingveggies) if you are interested. As the season progresses I'll add some more!
For storage, I find it best to either grate

Image

I have the same challenge, and as I write this, I am making squash and sweet potato soup. I baked the squash and sweet potatoes, sauteed chopped onion and garlic in olive oil, and scooped the squash and the cubed sweet potato into the soup pot. I added 4 cups of vegetable broth and let that simmer with some salt, pepper, cinnamon and coriander. I had a little kale and quinoa left over from another meal so I threw that in, too. I am about to puree it all, and then I'll see if I can post a picture. So far it tastes really good!

Image

Oh, sorry, I missed that part where you said you were tired of soup.

036

Squash gnocchi - you can simmer or roast the squash until tender, then make a smooth puree, and add it to your potato gnocchi with a pinch of nutmeg and a bit of parmesan. Then - make some brown butter with fried sage leaves, boild and drain the gnocchi and toss them in the butter - heaven!

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Here's one of my favorites:

1_butternut_parsnip_puree

Dscf2141

You can use them to make/freeze sweetened squash puree for pies and other desserts. I agree with aargersi, and have posted another answer about using for festive gnocchi. Also, I like make a dish with spanish chorizo and chick peas which would be well served with small roasted chunks of squash.

Dscf2141

Also, if you ever make potstickers, you can always use squash as a filling (whether prepared sweet or savory) for some of the wrappers.

Dsc00426

quick breads. they freeze well, are good gifts, and use up a good amount of the squash.

The Big Zombie revenant returns in time for Halloween http://www.food52.com/recipes...

I'm not a big fan of winter squash, although I do like it as a pureed soup. But it pairs really well with cheese to me, I think it cuts the cloying sweetness to my palate. I have had it as a gratin, thin sliced and layered with cream or broth and Parmesan or Swiss cheese. Also there is a stuffed pumpkin recipe that uses cheese bread and broth that is wonderful. If you can't fill the squashes, I think you could wing it and do it in a pot with chunks or slices.
It is delicious, I want to make it now!
http://www.epicurious.com...

Giada has a gratin with pesto that sounds good:
http://www.foodnetwork...

I really like the idea of using it in bread vvvvanessa

4009951565_16d666fbc7

I like roasted butternut squash in lasagna -- I cube it, roast it with some mushrooms and layer with noodles, tomato sauce, alfredo sauce and cheese.
Cubed roasted butternut squash is also a great addition to salads in place of something like pears -- what about a salad with arugula, toasted pecans, butternut squash and shaved parmesan?

I also love, love LOVE this gratin: http://savour-fare.com...

My girlfriend introduced me to her favorite way to eat squash, which is quite delicious:

Roast the squash until tender, then arrange it in a baking dish in a single layer. It can be cubed, mashed up, or both. Season generously with salt and pepper, add a layer of diced raw onion. Top with grated cheese, whatever type you have laying around that you think would be a good match, and a layer of breadcrumbs. Return to the oven and bake until the cheese is melty and bubbly and the breadcrumbs create a crispy layer on top.

I don't know where she got it from, but it is very comforting and the textural variance provided by the onion and the breadcrumbs really makes this dish.

This gratin, adapted from Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone (which has lots of good winter squash recipes) plays up the savory side of the vegetable.

2 - 2 1/2 lbs. winter squash, cut into 1/2- 3/4" dice
2 - 3 cloves garlic minced (the Madison recipe calls for 5--too much for my tastes, and I love garlic)
1/2 cup parsley, minced
salt and pepper
2 Tbs flour
olive oil

Mix squash, garlic, and parsley. Season with salt & pepper and dust with flour. Toss to coat the vegetables with the flour. Place in gratin dish, drizzle with a couple Tbs of olive oil. Bake at 300 to 325 until very soft (about 2 hours, depending on oven temp and size of squash cubes).

My mother used to put a few ounces of raw sausage meat in the cavities of winter squash and simply roast them with salt and pepper.. The fat from the sausage permeated the squash flesh as it cooked. Made a nice cold-weather meal with a salad or green veg.

Kay_at_lake

My very favorite fall squash is the butternut. I like to peel and cube it, saute in bacon drippings with some chopped onion, then add chicken broth and simmer until it's tender. Hit it with the immersion blender at that point, and stir in about two ounces of goat cheese. At this stage, it's a marvelous sauce for pasta, or you can thin it slightly with cream or stock and make a great soup of it. You can also freeze it prior to the addition of the goat cheese, and have it ready for all kinds of things as mentioned above. But it's the bacon and onion that really kicks it into high gear for me.

Dsc00426

my sister has a great recipe for macaroni and cheese that uses butternut squash. it won the tillamook cheese regional competition a couple of years ago, and it's delicious!
http://www.tillamookcheese...

Birthday_2012
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

butternut squash ravioli is delicious with melted butter and parmesan and mushrooms

I love butternut squash pureed into soup. SO GOOD.

Also, I have directions for home made ravioli on here somewhere under a guys search for red pasta sauce recipes. luvcookbooks is right. Do a butternut ravioli. The sauce should be buttery, sweet, and brown sugary.