🔔
🔎

Sometimes my meringue doesn't come out as fluffy as other times...why, and can I do anything to remedy it?

asked by dymnyno over 4 years ago
Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

You may already do this but letting the egg whites come to room temperature makes a difference. Also, I find that young eggs fluff up more than older eggs, but that's just an observation. (The image comes from www.knivescookslove.com)

Images-1

I think it may have something to do with humidity--i think a drier environment makes for fluffier meringue. I have no science to back this up; it is just my observation. Also, I personally don't like cream of tartar in meringue (i can always taste it.) but a pinch of salt really helps the egg whites beat up light and fluffy.

532719_3658538260807_1195156242_32905581_1657496368_n_2

drbabs is correct - humidity can really affect your meringue. If it's super-hot and humid out, don't waste your time - your meringue is NOT going to get fluffy or stay dry.