🔔
🔎

Toasting black sesame seeds

I bought some black sesame seeds in bulk and plan to use them as garnish on sushi. I'm guessing they aren't already toasted. Should I toast them first, or are they good to go?

asked by vvvanessa over 3 years ago
Gator_cake

I've used them as is, and have never toasted them. Now I'm curious to know if others toast them.

Chris_in_oslo

I don't generally toast them, but I tend to burn most every seed I do toast, and it'd be even harder to avoid with seeds that aren't going to brown. I do like them untoasted, so I guess it's okay.

Image

They have a really great flavor as is. Often I mix regular toasted ones with the black ones. It looks really pretty.

5.15.11_coconut_macaroons_best_sm

I've never toasted them and always use as is too.

Dsc_0122.nef-1

They're untoasted, since the color is so dark its hard to make out whether they've browned enough, the trick is determine when they begin popping & jumping on the hot skillet. they're usually toasted just right at this point.

Dsc00426

thanks, everyone! i think i'll toast some just for kicks, but i agree that it's probably not necessary to do it. plus i have a weird attention-span problem that kicks in whenever i begin to toast nuts, seeds, coconut, or spices-- i suddenly find something that is so much more fascinating or important that i turn my back on the oven or pan and almost always end up cooking them too long. same goes for heating milk. i need stove blinders.

So reassuring to hear. I can't tell you how many batches of this and that I've incinerated.

Chris_in_oslo

Where's Burnt Offerings to give our group a name? While I do know that I should wait around for the hopping and popping, I just don't seem to focus. Glad to know I'm in good company.

I like thespicegirl's idea to mix sesame seeds--that sounds really good.