🔎

• 5

• 697

A question about a recipe: 1975 Dick Taeuber’s Brandy Alexander Pie

I have a question about step 6 on the recipe "1975 Dick Taeuber’s Brandy Alexander Pie" from amanda. It says:

"Beat the egg whites until stiff, then add the remaining sugar and beat until the peaks are firm. Fold the meringue into the thickened mixture."

1975
Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

I don't know of any precaution you can take in this kind of recipe. If you are at all worried, I wouldn't make it.

Gator_cake

You can buy egg white powder, which you reconstitute with water.
You can also buy the freshest eggs possible, but there will still be a small risk of Salmonella. The estimate is that 1 in 20,000 eggs is contaminated with Salmonella.

Gator_cake

@amanda: I've used the pasteurized dried egg whites to whip up for making buttercream, and they whip up nicely. If the yolk mixture is brought up to 165º F or higher, most Salmonella bacteria will be killed.

Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

Yes, the yolks for sure can be brought to a safe temperature but wasn't aware of a whites substitute. Thanks for your input.

Abby added 10 months ago

Use pasteurized egg whites (like Egg Beaters)