Recipes for green bell peppers (lots of them)

I am stuck with several baskets of green bell peppers, as my pepper plants were hit with a disease called blossom end rot. I tried to ripen them in paper bags with apples but no luck, they just rot on me. I actually do not like green peppers per se but I cannot fathom the idea to throw them all in the compost bin after I have been pampering those seedlings since early April. I would welcome recipe ideas that use A LOT of green peppers. I am thinking relish, chutney, something that takes care of a lot of the peppers at once, not just a dish. I also have an abundance of tomatoes in the garden, plus some jalapenos that I could use with the peppers. Thanks!

asked by MyGardenersTable about 3 years ago
Phone_176

As far as the peppers go, I would roast them and either can or freeze them for later use. For speed I would cut them in half, remove the seeds and stems, toss in oil, and roast them flat on a sheet tray until the skin bubbles up. I would try a pretty high temp (375-425) and convection if you have it. Your not trying to cook them through. Put them in a bowl covered with plastic until cool. Then remove the skins. Otherwise, leave whole, toss in oil and roast in an open flame. I use my gas grill with the grate removed. When they are black all over, place in a covered bowl until cool. Use a dry towel to remove the skins and cut out the seeds and stems. If you have a food sealer, that would be the best way to freeze them. Or can them in a lightly salted water.

Scan0004

Recently faced with a lot of peppers, though not that many.
I'd suggest a Pepper Relish from www.eggsonsunday.wordpress.... Also, Hungarian Lesco (tomato and green pepper ragout), which is good as is, and has worked as a quasi-shakshouka base with extra spices.
I also cut peppers in strips and freeze in heavy ziplocks, for future sauteing (all sorts of uses, all sorts of cuisines).
Hope you have help on this project!

46a45ad9-247f-48c1-a5a5-1975acc94a0b-12

Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up coaxing some color out of the peppers after all by ripening them in a cardboard box with apples. @ susan g: the pepper relish sounds good, now that I have orange peppers I will give that a try.