Licensing a recipe

So a recipe of mine came in first place in a local contest. A restaurant owner approached me offering to license it and put it on his menu. I am totally clueless about this process. What do I need to look out for? How do I protect my recipe and my rights to it?

asked by CarolinaEpicurean about 3 years ago
149130_100440840028137_100001866631527_1389_855041_n

Wow, congratulations. That is truly so exciting and nope sorry don't have a clue either just wanted to give you a virtual hug and say how neat I think that is. You're on your way....cookbooks here you come.

Img_3633_-_copy_2_-1

Thanks for the hug and the encouragement, AmyRuth! :-) Hope someone has some knowlege in this area!

AntoniaJames may be able to provide you with some insight. Maybe you can send her a message directly and see if she responds. I remember a foodpickle discussion on a topic very similar to this and she was extremely helpful!

Image

Here's the similar question with AntoniaJames' excellent answer. http://www.food52.com/foodpickle... It seems to me that you would want to consult your own attorney on this one.

Thanks for finding this drbabs..I knew I had seen it.

Img_3633_-_copy_2_-1

Thanks everyone for your valuable input! You have given me much to think about!

Junechamp

< P.S. You should probably also keep in mind any restrictions or other terms related to the contest that you won. They may be relevant going forward.>

This one may be a biggie. Don't overlook it. You may have relinquished all rights to the recipe just by entering the contest.

Img_3633_-_copy_2_-1

Thanks, ChefJune. I already checked and there are no restrictions or other terms. I retain all rights to the recipe. Appreciate the advice!

5.15.11_coconut_macaroons_best_sm

Though I have not done this process myself, I do have it directly from the U.S. Copyright Office (via email) that you cannot copyright a list of ingredients. You can copyright the text of a recipe. So that means you can protect the way your recipe is written, but you cannot prevent someone else from coming along and using the same ingredients in the same quantities to create their own recipe. It sounds like if you follow the careful answers above, you'll be able to get things they way you want them from this opportunity. Congratulations!