🔎

I have type 2 diabetes .. Is Ramen noodles okay to eat without the seasoning packet?

Image

Ramen noodles have a really high glycemic index, so they're usually not recommended for type 2 diabetics. Have you seen a nutritionist? You might want to get your physician to refer you to one. The American Diabetes Association also publishes guidelines. Check out this link:
http://www.diabetes.org...

Black_picture_small
loubaby added over 2 years ago

My mom is a diabetic and she only eats whole grain pasta because of their lower glycemic value and doesn't eat a lot of it at that. I don't think they make a whole wheat ramen noodle in the chinese markets that I have seen. But there are plenty of other whole grain pastas available in all grocery stores.

dennis.kornfehl added over 2 years ago

I live by myself and it is so convenient to use the ramen noodles instead of spaghetti. I forgot to mention that I also have high blood pressure, so I have two whammys against me. It is so difficult to find things to eat which don't cost an arm and a leg and need intense preparation and or have a list ofs ingredient an arm long that you don't normally stock.

Kandm

Kristy is an expert at making things pretty and a former Associate Editor of Food52.

What about buying whole grains from bulk bins? They're affordable, easy to cook, and healthy. The whole grain pasta is definitely a good idea, I'm sure you can find some not-so-pricey options.

Kandm

This is a low-maintenance healthy recipe. I've had it without the cheese and it's still great.

Debbykalk-photo
latoscana added over 2 years ago

There are some healtheir Ramen products now on the market - noodles are not fried and broth is low sodium - but that probably won't help withh the glycemic rating.

What about those packages of instant brown rice? they don't think they taste like slow cooked brown rice but with low sodium broth and some thin slices of peppers or other veggies, it could be a quick and more nutritious snack.

There are also some whole wheat noodles out now that actually taste great - not like sand. The Bionaturae brand has gotten high marks - I've tried it but haven't done a lot of comparison. With a little olive oil, a little pepper, and some grated Parmesan, it can be delicious and quick. And you won't be hungry again in 90 minutes.

5.15.11_coconut_macaroons_best_sm
beyondcelery added over 2 years ago
Voted the Best Answer!

Have you tried soba noodles? They're made with buckwheat flour as well as regular flour, so their glycemic value should be lower than plain ramen. Have you looked into prepackaged pre-cut frozen vegetables, such as for stir-fry? That can help cut out the work involved in making healthy meal. I second the suggestion that you may want to visit a nutritionist. They can give you lists of all the best foods for your diet and help you find easier ways to prepare fast meals.

Sam1148 added over 1 year ago

I second that! I love soda noodles and they aren't really that difficult to cook. One method is boil, add a cup of water, wait until it starts to foam over, add another cup of water--and repeat that 3 times. A sesame seed dressing is great with those served chilled. Kewpie is a good brand--I'm not of the sodium content of that product.

s4ndm4n2006 added over 2 years ago

@loubaby: Actually as a guy that grew up with ramen and other Japanese noodles, in Japan, I am happy to inform you that there has been wheat based and other more healthy noodles for ramen for decades. I am 43 and lived in Japan as a child and remember eating what was a darker, browner, buckwheat noodle. Pretty sure you can find that in Asian markets too. :)

s4ndm4n2006 added over 2 years ago

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_
sexyLAMBCHOPx added over 2 years ago

Check out Shirataki noodles that come in pasta and rice shapes. A diabetics best friend. Type 2's should low carb it.

Open-uri.32483
smittyctz6 added almost 2 years ago

As a Type 2 diabetic I agree with sexyLAMBCHOPS.. if you have to eat noodles the shirataki noodles are the way to go.. Carbs and Fiber

The konjac flour in shirataki noodles is a good source of fiber. (Fiber from konjac flour is sometimes sold as a supplement under the name glucomannan.) A diet high in fiber can improve your digestion and strengthen your cardiovascular health. The fiber in shirataki noodles is very filling, and people who are currently eating a low-fiber diet are advised to start with small quantities of shirataki noodles until their digestive system can adjust. Shirataki noodles are also very low in carbohydrates, making them a good pasta choice for low-carb diets. They are also gluten-free and vegan.

Open-uri.32483
smittyctz6 added almost 2 years ago

http://www.shiratakinoodles... here is their link

stephanieRD added over 1 year ago

Im a dietitian and diabetes educator. It's not necessarily the seasoning packet that will bring blood sugar up- its the noodles! That salty seasoning packet will be bad for your blood pressure. I'd just stick to eating half of a packet of ramen since that's the serving size. But ts still not the healthiest choice...