🔎

Dressing for salad containing figs?

I am going to take salad to a dinner for 12 tonight and was asked to make sure it includes figs. Note: I don't like figs. Don't like the knock- knock joke about figs

Knock Knock
Who's there!
Figs!
Figs who?
Figs the doorbell, it's broken

The salad I am taking includes lettuce and arugula from the Farmer's Market, walnuts and manchego cheese, and the figs. What would make a great salad dressing?

Buddhacat
Merrill

I'm normally not a huge fan of balsamic, but with figs, it's a nice match. My standby for a salad like this one is balsamic (cut with a little rice vinegar if you want to mellow it out), a dash of maple syrup, olive oil, and maybe a bit of mustard.

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Oh, the Manchego and arugula are just begging for sherry vinegar on this one, though I agree balsamic is what's typically used with figs. I'm very old-school on this, so I'd mix 2/3 part sherry with one part really good red wine vinegar, with just a pinch of salt, a tiny pinch of sugar (raw cane, for its depth) unless the figs are extremely ripe, and a fruity olive oil. And freshly ground pepper on the salad once dressed. But you knew that. ;o) P.S. Very bad knock knock joke, but I'm glad you posted it, as it did make me chuckle.

Sounds lovely! Maybe crumble some Gorgonzola over the top?

Buddhacat
SKK added over 2 years ago

Thank you all! The dressing was a success and I even kind of like figs now - even though I had to wear fig leaves in my hair. You saved me - I will be invited again.

Junechamp

Sorry I didn't see this earlier, but so glad you had such great suggestions. I'd have been torn between sherry vinegar, "real" balsamic (the syrupy kind), and oloroso sherry. I also would have used walnut oil for part of the oil in the dressing. Sounds great. Maybe I'll copy you this weekend!

Buddhacat
SKK added over 2 years ago

@ChefJune - Now I will have to try oloroso sherry! I did use walnut oil, and also processed some walnuts for the dressing. Please share what you come up with!