Do you cook the corn before cutting it off the cob, or is it raw?

Do you think it would freeze well?

asked by babycook almost 3 years ago
Mrs._larkin_370

Mrs. Larkin is a trusted source on Baking.

Are you asking about a particular recipe? You can do either, depending on the recipe.

And yes, I think corn freezes very well.

Chris_in_oslo

Regardless of the recipe, the important thing to remember is that fresh corn doesn't need much time to cook. So, in most situations, you'll be fine if you cut the corn from the cob before you add it to your dish and cook it.

Imag0055

Many recipes make you strip uncooked corn from the cob before using it in a particular dish calling for corn kernels. (You should use the back of a knife to scrape the milky juice out, too.) This can be a very messy, sticky procedure.

Thus--- I have much better luck if I blanch the corn for a minute or so in boiling water. The corn is still not fully cooked but it comes away from the cob MUCH more easily and can then be used in a recipe. This is also the exact procedure for freezing corn. If freezing, remove the hot cobs to a sink full of cold water to cool them quickly before stripping the ears.