🔔
🔎

Which kosher salt does Food 52 use in it's recipes? I have heard that Crystal and Morton vary in strength which could matter in baked goods.

asked by Robin O'D about 3 years ago
Mrs._larkin_370

Mrs. Larkin is a trusted source on Baking.

I only use Diamond Crystal Kosher salt for cooking, baking, everything. Occasionally grind coarse sea salt when I'm seasoning stuff.

Ditto mrslarkin.

Gator_cake

I prefer Diamond, and try to specify when I write a recipe.

Img__631-1_(1)

They don't vary in strength but in weight. So a tablespoon of one does't equal a tablespoon of another. I am pretty sure, but you may want to check, that Diamond Crystal weighs less than Morton.

Junechamp

Morton's Kosher salt has unnecessary additives, much like their table salt. I don't won't buy or use it. And I find it interesting that Whole Foods only carries Morton's.

When I'm measuring a recipe by weight, I weigh all the ingredients each time.

Dsc_0122.nef-1

Diamond here as well..

Scan0004

You asked which brand food52 uses -- since recipes here are submitted by many individuals, there is no 'right' one, but as you see, Diamond is the preferred brand. If the recipe doesn't specify, I would suggest you use Diamond -- by volume (tsp, etc) measure, Morton is 'saltier' -- weighs more and therefore has more sodium. You can always add more to taste.

Image

Thanks everyone. I have tried to find Diamond Crystal at the grocery store, but have had no luck. Also, I guess when I wrote Food 52, I was referring to Amanda and Merrill. I just made the peach tart and am planning on making the applesauce cake and I am doubting my salt measurements. I guess I should just ask under the specific recipes. Thanks for your help, I will have to double my efforts to find the Diamond Crystal.

Wholefoods_user_icon

The difference between Morton and Diamond is crystal size; Diamond's larger crystals take up more room for an equivalent weight than do Morton"s. The generally-accepted formula is: if a recipe calls for 1 teaspoon of table salt, use 1-1/2 teaspoons of Morton's or 2 teaspoons of Diamond's, to obtain an equivalent weight. Also, Morton's does have additives to prevent caking or clumping (recall their slogan, "When it rains, it pours"); like others, I only use Diamond. Note, however, that using Diamond will not provide iodine, which may be an issue for persons living far from salt water or with otherwise compromised diets. Weighing everything is an admirable goal, but not everyone has a scale accurate enough to deal with small but precise amounts, as in baking.

Same as mrslarkin. I don't like the taste of Morton's nor the additives.

Photo_9

Diamond Crystall all the all the all the way.

Salt101.com is super entertaining, too!

Chris_in_oslo

I don't use tons of salt--so unless I have a special project that requires a whole lot, I go ahead and use my expensive sea salts and specialty rock salts. Another foodpickle question taught me that Maldon, a big flaky seasalt salt, actually works well in baked goods. And since mine came in what seemed like a big box, I've been using it in a lot of other cooking too.