NO GREEN THUMB NEEDED FOR OUR SELF-WATERING HERB KIT. SHOP NOW »

Pesto from basil with chilling damage still OK?

I harvested a big bunch of basil a couple of days ago for one last batch of pesto. Then I got too busy to process the leaves right away, so I put them in the fridge, where they suffered chilling damage and some of them turned black. I still made the pesto as planned and it tastes fine, looks OK too, the few black leaves somehow blend in, but now I am starting to wonder whether that was a good idea, and how it will keep. Usually I use pesto within two to three weeks.

asked by MyGardenersTable over 4 years ago
0dcfb05c 8a90 480f 8cf7 cbc33e9a6b5c  me

They are safe to eat. just not as tasty. As long as there are mostly green leaves in the pesto, it should be fine. I usually have a couple of chill-damaged leaves this time of year as the weather gets colder ..

272d72fa 27b1 4b4b b42f 0132f79e5d38  46a45ad9 247f 48c1 a5a5 1975acc94a0b 12

Thanks, wssmom for reassuring me. Pesto's on the menu tomorrow.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

Good that you're going ahead. Another slight decline in quality may be that your pesto is not as brilliant a green color as you've had before. Again, not an edibility issue, but it might not be a dish that you're serving to impress picky guests.