Pesto from basil with chilling damage still OK?

I harvested a big bunch of basil a couple of days ago for one last batch of pesto. Then I got too busy to process the leaves right away, so I put them in the fridge, where they suffered chilling damage and some of them turned black. I still made the pesto as planned and it tastes fine, looks OK too, the few black leaves somehow blend in, but now I am starting to wonder whether that was a good idea, and how it will keep. Usually I use pesto within two to three weeks.

asked by MyGardenersTable almost 3 years ago
Me

They are safe to eat. just not as tasty. As long as there are mostly green leaves in the pesto, it should be fine. I usually have a couple of chill-damaged leaves this time of year as the weather gets colder ..

46a45ad9-247f-48c1-a5a5-1975acc94a0b-12

Thanks, wssmom for reassuring me. Pesto's on the menu tomorrow.

Chris_in_oslo

Good that you're going ahead. Another slight decline in quality may be that your pesto is not as brilliant a green color as you've had before. Again, not an edibility issue, but it might not be a dish that you're serving to impress picky guests.