A question about a recipe: Applesauce Cake with Caramel Glaze

122010f_1001

Can I use milk or half and half in place of the heavy cream? Also any specific suggestions for the applesauce, or ca I just cook down the apples on the stove without anything added?

asked by ATG117 almost 3 years ago
Merrill

I think milk or half and half should work -- just add more confectioners' sugar if the glaze seems too thin. As for the applesauce, I just cook down chopped apples (peels on) with a pinch of salt and a spoonful or so of sugar (optional), then put them through a food mill.

Thanks much!! Should've added one more question...Trying to get rid of apples that I'd normally toss. Is it okay that they are overripe and a bit soft?

Merrill

Definitely. Sounds like they're perfect for applesauce! (Also, a little spritz of lemon juice is a nice addition to the applesauce.)

Thanks again! Will do re applesauce. Cake looks lovely. I expect it will taste just as wonderful.