🔎

• 9

• 5343

Is a food processor a good way to chop nuts?

I need to chop pounds of nuts to coat chocolate truffles. Would a food processor be able to break the nuts into small enough pieces or will it inevitably overmix and leave me with a lot of powdered nuts? Is chopping by hand a better method?

Thanks in advance!

1378937_300
Buddhacat
SKK added over 2 years ago

My food processor works great for nut chopping. Just don't overfill it and watch it carefully. A lot of small batches, pulsing.

Me
wssmom added over 2 years ago

Ditto what SKK says: use the pulse botton and work in small batches. Works great!

I say, do what SKK and wssmom say.

Me_by_barbara_tyroler
Nora added over 2 years ago

Ditto, ditto, ditto. If the nuts end up powedered, learn and try again.

Scan0004
susan g added over 2 years ago

Do not walk away. Pulse and stop to see how they're coming -- because after powder comes nut butter.

lovesitc added over 2 years ago

Personally, I put 'em in a big zip-loc baggie and roll over them w/ a rolling pin. Gives me a little more control than my food processor . . . .

Junechamp

When I'm making truffles, or coating the sides of a cake with nuts, I always do them in the food processor. As the posters above suggested, small batches, pulsed and watched carefully. It's so much faster.

When I'm chopping nuts for cookies (like chocolate chippers or brownies, I generally do them with a knife, or I break them by hand. But that's when I want pretty large chunks.

Sara_clevering
sarabclever added over 2 years ago

I use my immersion blender kit that has the equivalent of a mini-mixer. (Think magic bullet!). I love it--I've never thought about batch size because obviously batches have to be kept small in a mini-mixer, so this was a good thread to read in case I need to make a lot one day.

1378937_300
1tsplove added over 2 years ago

Thanks everyone!