🔔
🔎

On the hunt for a good Gluten Free substitute for Panko breading

asked by Kristabolt about 3 years ago
With_ab

Depending on how badly you want the panko crunch, you can use almond meal or cornmeal (adds texture and good breading but little crunch) or you can process some GF break in the food processor and toast it (nice and crispy but more work). Glutino also sells GF panko which is quite delicious

Buddhacat

JessicaBakes is right on. And awhile ago Atonio James asked the question and the responses were interesting to me, the point being toast GF bread http://www.food52.com/foodpickle...

5.15.11_coconut_macaroons_best_sm

I'm with JessicaBakes: process gluten-free bread in the food processor and toast the crumbs. I find I get better texture from the crusts. I just save up the end crusts from gluten-free bread loaves in the freezer, then make breadcrumbs out of them when I have enough. The breadcrumbs also keep in the freezer for a good 3-4 months before getting too icy. I haven't tried the panko from Glutino, but their other products are quite good and I trust them to make a good product.

Scan0004

I just asked that question about the Well-Rooted Gratin, and boulangere made an excellent suggestion -- crush rice crackers. They're already crunchy!

Thanks, susan g! I was just about to post the same suggestion here.

Me

LOL tonight perchance I just made some gluten free bread crumbs. Needed a half-cup of cubed bread, so I took 2 slices of udi's gluten free bread, cut them in cubes, tossed with a tablespoon olive oil, one minced garlic clove and salt and pepper. Baked 10 minutes at 400 until nice and golden brown, then crumbed them in the blender. Worked extraordinarily well to replace the panko in the chicken cutlets!

Ry_400

I've seen GF panko at Whole Foods as well.

Toasted crushed flax seeds make a nice crust for fried foods.

Flower-bee

Perhaps you could also try some GF bread crumbs mixed with some crushed GF cereal, too.The cereals tend to stay crispier in general.

Stringio

A friend of mine used Rice Chex in a recipe when she made a dish for me. Having not ever had that dish, I had no frame of reference; but, she had many times before and told me that she tasted no difference in my gluten free version and her original one. I'm going to have to try that myself! :)

Dale_and_me_at_barron's

Stringio

Dale_and_me_at_barron's

Stringio

Dale_and_me_at_barron's

Stringio

Dale_and_me_at_barron's

Stringio

Dale_and_me_at_barron's

Stringio

Dale_and_me_at_barron's