I just got a KichenAid pro 500 stand mixer where you raise and lower the bowl rather than a tilt-head.

Since I may not know how it should ideally work, I am wondering if I am doing something wrong not to have all my ingredients actually get mixed in: I know that I have the bowl locked in place and raised to the highest position, but the beater seems to miss the bottom of the bowl. Probably I should get that shield attachment to spare me all the bits flying out? Any advice for the complete novice?

asked by Sagegreen about 4 years ago
Mrs._larkin_370

Mrs. Larkin is a trusted source on Baking.

I run into the same problem sometimes with my ancient tilt-head kitchenaid. This is more common when I'm doubling or tripling a recipe. I stop and scrape the bowl with a long rubber spatula several times to make sure the way bottom gets mixed in. As for the flying bits, I don't have the shield attachment, so I initially pulse the mixer (on-off-on-off) for 30 seconds or so until it's safe.

Me

I recently got the pro 500 too and have had the same issue. I've done what mrslarkin suggests, which works great. I've also lifted the bowl a bit and hold the bowl in place to make sure it gets the bottom. It's effective, particularly for whipping egg whites, but has some obvious drawbacks. On the shield attachment, I have it but haven't needed to use it . I adjust the speed of the mixer instead.

Image

Ka_scraper Kitchen Aid makes a scraper that you can get from Amazon. I'm trying to attach the photo. I tend to do what mrslarkin and chezsuzanne do, and I don't have a shield either. (And my mixer is circa 1983!)

Dsc_0675-x2a

Thanks for all these tips. They help!

Img__631-1_(1)

I through a kitchen towel over the top that acts as a shield and I just tilt the bowl a little and then the attachments reach the bottom. This is a problem essentially with all stand mixers not just kitchen aids

Cathybarrow_allrecipes_%c2%a9_2014
MrsWheelbarrow

Cathy is a trusted source on Pickling/Preserving.

I've heard the spatula type beater blade can wear out the motor. Anyone else heard that? I use the towel over the mixer trick a la THirschfeld - works well enough. There's always a mess to clean up, tho.

Me_in_munich_with_fish

Sigh, even industrial stand mixers (we're talking 30-quart ones) don't get the bottom of the bowl. I usually just put on some gloves and mix thoroughly by hand. At home, try scraping down the bottom of the bowl really well. I don't have one of those nifty scrapers pictured above. That might be the final answer.