TWINKLE FOR YOUR TABLE. SHOP NOW »

What to bake for a college bound care packages ...

What are your kids' favorites for college care packages that might take up to 4 days of travel time ...

asked by frannyshan over 4 years ago
2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

Brownies, blondies, cookies if they are packaged well they will keep for days.

B8c85549 23af 4014 8234 ae1da9266ce9  burnt offering

I send my niece home made granola and granola bars. Keeps and travels VERY well, super healthy, and she can eat it in her dorm room for breakfast on yogurt, or pack a bag of it as a snack in her backpack during the day. I send it to her by the shoebox full, and now I'm getting requests from her dorm floor mates for more.

3cda284d 24da 41c9 a83f 0e2897a5ee76  grace marian astra madeline myrtle jean in new jersey

I discovered Anzac cookies when I married an Australian and am totally addicted. The recipe is from when wives wanted to send cookies to their husbands who were in the Australia New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) and they had to survive in the mail via naval ship. They are really simple and delicious and there are tons of recipes on the web if you google it.

Sorry, should have called them Anzac "biscuits". :-) But for Americans, it is a cookie.

To be honest, my daughter never cared for the condition of any baked goods we sent. I enjoyed sending and she enjoyed eating these at home, but she just never found 4 day old baked goods appealing. Instead I send goodie boxes of random things I collect from closeouts and sales, boxed items that mix up easy. Stuff she likes from Trader Joe's like pepermint JoJo's, dried tropical fruit. If you can, us USPS flat rate boxes--they arrive in 2 days and the weight imit is very high.

62da2e3c 5d4a 4c43 a2ed feb7f39ad363  with ab

Something healthy! There's so much crap at college...I like the suggestion for zucchini bread

Ad0d3623 a28a 4793 82a8 5f1ab0a2f633  dsc00426

homemade quick oatmeal packets: baby oats, sweetener (maple sugar, brown sugar), minced dried fruit, chopped nuts, cinnamon, powdered milk, and instructions to add boiling water, cover, and let sit for a few minutes.

quick soup mixes (i was skeptical when i saw this idea recently, but i made a batch for friends with a new baby, and it's tasty!): for every 1/2 cup of mashed potato flakes, add 1 teaspoon powdered vegetable broth (i get in bulk at the health food store), 1/4 teaspoon dried chives, and a little black pepper and shake well (i made about 8 servings in one container). send with instructions to add 1 cup of boiling water to make 1 serving. totally addictive.

if they have a hotpot or stove (or rice cooker), make lentil soup: 2 cups dried lentils, 2 teapsoons powdered vegetable stock, 1-2 teaspoons curry powder, dehydrated onions, minced sundried tomatoes. add intstructions to simmer with 6 cups of water until lentils are done.

and big thumbs-up on the granola. it's easy to make and is so much better than any boxed version.

whoa. apparently the paragraphs i made don't show up in the post. sorry it looks so crammed.

2269774e 64e7 47ec 8fb3 d6fb03cce199  debbykalk photo

Chocolate chip and oatmeal cookies. To pack them: wrap pairs of cookies, bottom sides together, in foil or plastic. Then pack all of the pairs in a freezer baggie. Pack all in a box protected all around with bubble wrap or crushed paper.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

Homemade biscotti travel well and keep in an airtight container for a long time. I've done everything from basic almond, to currant/cornmeal, to chocolate chip/dried cherry. Sometimes I send a pound of their favorite coffee from our small local coffeehouse to go with it - always a hit.

I also send my kids bags of raw almonds, cashews, homemade trail mix and banana chips. No breakage or spoiling worries there either. (I'll throw in some good chocolate, if it all starts looking too healthy ;)