Does anyone have some good ideas for collard greens, other than a mess o' greens (done that) or thrown into a soup (that too!). I love them and keep getting large quantities from my CSA but I'm running out of ideas!

asked by RavensFeast almost 4 years ago

Poach/steam them until they're flexible, and then use them as the wrap with a roll-up of homemade or other soft cheese--like goat--and a sliver of country ham. You can also take that idea hot and use them as you would cabbage leaves for stuffed cabbage. Lucky you to have a surplus!

Hilary_sp1

I like to make this greens and quinoa pie from Vegetarian times with collards, kale and mustard greens. The recipe calls for chicory, but I can never find it:http://www.vegetariantimes...=

You could also put collards in a gratin, like this one: http://smittenkitchen.com...

This isn't a recipe per se, but have you considered putting up greens for the winter? I love greens, too- but I like the farmer's market kind better than the winter super market version. I usually put up collards, mustard greens, kale, and chard in my freezer for the winter.

One of my very favorite uses for collards is the Portuguese caldo verde. Potatoes, very thinly sliced collards (I did say very thinly sliced), portuguese sausage which would be linguica or chorico. Water. Roughly cut up the potatoes. Put everything in a pot and simmer and simmer. The collards take some time to cook down, but I really like them.

These suggestions sound amazing, thank you!

@Hilarybee I've never put up greens, do you have a method you love? Pressure canning I presume?

Also, how long do you all cook your collards when making simple collards on their own? Most recipes suggest about 50+ min, but I admittedly cook mine for way less. They remain vibrant in color and still tender. Does it have to do with the age of the greens? When does one need to strip them?

Strip them before cooking and then thinly slice the individual leaves. And yeah, they do take a long time to cook compared to some other members of the cabbage family...

...also, best way to slice them is to roll the leaves up (and you can pile a few on) into a fat cigar shape and then just slice across. Remember, sharp knife!

Desert

Foodshed Foodshed go away, We don't like business's here anyway, come back as a person some other day, this is a food forum not a way, to promote your business here today.

Dear @DonnyG, not promoting a business here, thanks for the reception. I wonder if us Oregonians treated you so rudely when you moved here from SB.

Poppy_bone
NWB

I make a raw kale and quinoa salad and I bet collards would work fine. Cut into very thin ribbons and let sit in vinegar or lemon juice and olive oil for 5-10 minutes before mixing with quinoa, feta, kalmata olives, and tomato.

1390710_10151917400148928_1193325941_n_1_

I like to render bacon lardons, remove lardons, then saute the greens after stripping them off the spine, towards the end of cooking process I would add some minced garlic and red pepper flake, and salt. Simple yet delicious.

Hilary_sp1

I guess I didn't say how I put up greens for the winter. I like to blanch the greens- I boil them very briefly about 30 second to 1 minute and then I plunge them in the cold water bath.

I then put them in a strainer to drain as much of the water as possible. I put each bunch in a separate ziplock bag- (1 gallon or 1 quart, depending on how much they shrink). Make sure there is no extra air to avoid freezer burn. I label each one, so that I can pull out a bag at a moment's notice.

Dscf3013

This recipe is amazing--http://www.marthastewart...

If you don't have smoked pork stock (I mean really--who does?) you can fry some bacon at the beginning and use its rendered fat to sub for some of the olive oil. Then, just use chicken stock. And of course top with the remaining bacon :)

Thanks and thanks. Last night was indeed my last CSA pickup so I will appreciate what I have with the suggestions you've given.

Oh, and don't think that I'm trying to be all special with the "homemade cheese" bit--I am probably the least experienced, newbie-est cook on here, but the Lee Bros. have a super-easy recipe for it, and it was great. In fact, I got that whole idea from them. If I can do it, anyone can (probably also a few of the more talented pets owned by the Food52 chefs can manage it!)

Much like Mr. Vittles I sautee mine as well, similarly, except I just use reserved bacon fat and I also add some red wine vinegar at the end.

Well if these weren't already enough great ideas, I just picked up this month's Saveur to find a whole feature on collard greens. I guess sometimes all you have to do is ask.
http://www.saveur.com/article...

I like to use collards in this dal recipe. They really stand up well to it and you end up with a great mixture of flavours.