Anyone have any experience with cuisine from St. Maartens? Most of my experience with Caribbean cuisine is with Puerto Rican food, and I've been told that aside from a few similar elements, the two cuisines are fairly different, though I have no idea if that's true or not. I've looked around online, but offerings on "St. Maartens cuisine" are pretty sparse. Any thoughts/recipes you could share would be great.. thanks a bunch!

asked by campagnes over 3 years ago

I think you will do better to search for Caribbean cuisine and "West Indies" cusine.

Summer_2010_1048

Sauce au Chien is big in St. Martin. http://www.foodandwine.... Also, bbq is a big deal apparently.

Um, isn't chien dog?

Link in Midge's post didn't work for me, so couldn't check...

036

St Maartens is half Dutch and half French - my cousins go there every Christmas and they say the food is better on the French side (that's kind of a gimme :-) I would think a carribean influenced French dish would fit the bill ... maybe up the spice, curry, tropical fruits, coconut, nutmeg, like that ....

Summer_2010_1048

innoabrd-- chien is dog, true, and it is a curious name, but there aren't
any in the sauce, rest assured. Sorry about the link. Try this http://www.foodandwine...

036

Midge that sounds really tasty! Is it wrong that one of our loving nicknames for our dog is "Fragrant Meat" ?? I know, sick, right? yet kind of funny!!!

Summer_2010_1048

It IS tasty, aargersi. I had it recently (over grilled fish) at a lunch to promote St.Martin tourism and oddly, even our hosts had no idea why its called sauce of the dog. It is funny what you end up calling pets sometimes. I won't even go into some of my cat's nicknames.

Cakecake

Thanks all! These are great suggestions.. thanks for pointing me in the right direction. (not even getting into what I call MY pets.. har)