🔎

How long do caramelized onions hold in the fridge? I make extra to keep on hand, when preparing them for a recipe. Thanks! ;o)

I make them with sweet onions, butter, olive oil and salt. That's all. Thank you. ;o)

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only
dymnyno added over 2 years ago

I do too. Recently I used some that had been in my fridge for 5 days and no one died.

dymnyno added over 2 years ago

Anita_date

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

I have a quart of darkly caramelized onions that I did in the oven that's been in the fridge for two weeks. They are still delicious and handy to have around for sweetening up savory recipes. But I use olive oil, not butter. So not sure if yours would hold up as long.

Dsc_0048b
healthierkitchen added over 2 years ago

I wonder how they'd freeze?

Scan0004
susan g added over 2 years ago

I think there would be enough variables, especially moisture levels, that an answer could not be generalized. Maybe using the oven would give the best results for storage, because of the even cooking. Perhaps some alcohol, maybe sherry, would suppress the possibility of bacterial growth. And then there's the storage container -- glass would give better results, I think. Freezer sounds most foolproof.

Dsc00426
vvvanessa added over 2 years ago

i freeze them. i do that thing where i plop little mounds of onions on a tray and freeze it. then i can load up the little blocks of caramelized onions into a bag or storage container and just take a little at a time. depending on what i make, i just put the onions in the dish to reheat/cook or i defrost them in the microwave.

Dsc_0122.nef-1
Panfusine added over 2 years ago

I made some the previous evening for my party, for arielleclementines polenta cakes & they were fine, although they reduce so much in amount.. that 3 + cups of fresh onion yields less than a cup of finished product..Make sure you have plenty of onions around!

Lambs' Ears and Honey added over 2 years ago

I've frozen caramelized onions and reheated them very successfully. You can make a huge pile of them in the slow cooker and then freeze in smaller amounts. I reheat them in the frypan to just finish off the caramelization beautifully.