🔔
🔎

I normally only buy things with a purpose in mind...but I couldn't resist buying a bag of dried "pink beans", because I want to start cooking more beans and making them from dried, and because I'll buy anything pink. Can I use them as I would other beans of similar size? I was thinking of making some sort of white bean and greens stew thing that I can take to work for lunch all week...doable?

asked by mklug about 4 years ago

Personally I would go with something more savory. Where I live the traditional accompaniment to grilled tri-tip would be pinquitos which would be Spanglish for "little pinks". They take grilled meats seriously here. You can season up the beans with garlic, cayenne, tomato and so forth. After soaking they'll probably take about two hours to cook at a slow simmer. You could make a stock from smoked ham hocks to cook them in too.

You can make traditional cajun red beans and rice with pink beans as well. The flavors are similar to pierino's but without the tomato.

Kay_at_lake

I dearly love red beans and rice, and I see no reason why pink beans and rice would not work equally well. Saute onion and garlic; add diced ham and sliced andouille sausage and saute until it starts to smell fragrant; dump in pot with soaked beans, a 28-oz can of tomatos, a can of minced green chiles, and season with ancho chile powder, pimenton, salt, celery seed, paprika, and Pick A Peppa sauce, as well as a healthy sprinkle of gumbo file. Cook all day in the slow cooker and serve over white rice. With cornbread.

Red beans and rice it is--I lived for 4 years in New Orleans, so I think that would be just the thing for lunch.
And Pierino--"pinquitos" is my new favorite word! How do you always have these great answers?

In this case it's a regional term, and I live about 60 miles north of Santa Maria.