I normally only buy things with a purpose in mind...but I couldn't resist buying a bag of dried "pink beans", because I want to start cooking more beans and making them from dried, and because I'll buy anything pink. Can I use them as I would other beans of similar size? I was thinking of making some sort of white bean and greens stew thing that I can take to work for lunch all week...doable?

asked by mklug over 5 years ago
51d6debe 8184 4f26 9614 c25e2aa571c3  p3200173

Personally I would go with something more savory. Where I live the traditional accompaniment to grilled tri-tip would be pinquitos which would be Spanglish for "little pinks". They take grilled meats seriously here. You can season up the beans with garlic, cayenne, tomato and so forth. After soaking they'll probably take about two hours to cook at a slow simmer. You could make a stock from smoked ham hocks to cook them in too.

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

You can make traditional cajun red beans and rice with pink beans as well. The flavors are similar to pierino's but without the tomato.

B0f2c3df 9bf7 43fc 8544 eb75ba85a60e  kay at lake

I dearly love red beans and rice, and I see no reason why pink beans and rice would not work equally well. Saute onion and garlic; add diced ham and sliced andouille sausage and saute until it starts to smell fragrant; dump in pot with soaked beans, a 28-oz can of tomatos, a can of minced green chiles, and season with ancho chile powder, pimenton, salt, celery seed, paprika, and Pick A Peppa sauce, as well as a healthy sprinkle of gumbo file. Cook all day in the slow cooker and serve over white rice. With cornbread.

Red beans and rice it is--I lived for 4 years in New Orleans, so I think that would be just the thing for lunch.
And Pierino--"pinquitos" is my new favorite word! How do you always have these great answers?

In this case it's a regional term, and I live about 60 miles north of Santa Maria.