Roll rewarming - favorite method?

I've tried the usual methods, after thawing homemade rolls: wrapped in foil in the oven, covered with a damp towel in the microwave...and have never really loved the results. While using the microwave clears valuable oven real estate, they tend to get chewy in there. In the oven, dry.

I admit, since the rewarming happens last minute, it coincides with my maximum headless-chicken stage - juggling sides in/out of oven, warming gravy, carving turkey, etc. In other words, attention to the rolls is often less than perfect.

So, anyone have a secret method that produces warm, moist rolls...but is a little forgiving? (I already made/froze monkeymom's famous Oatmeal-Molasses Rolls, and some egg-y challah-ish ones.)

asked by amysarah over 2 years ago

Wrap them in foil and place them in a crock pot on warm or low setting--works great! Have been doing this for a few years! Same thing with mashed potatoes (if you have several crockpots!) It saves so much time during the headless chicken stage!

3-bizcard

I know what you mean amysarah about he valuable oven real estate on Thanksgiving. SueH's method in the crock pot sounds very interesting and like it will produce a moist roll. After years of juggling oven time, this year I am going to try making the rolls the day before, par baking and just browning them before dinner. I have never par baked rolls before but will give it a try and see how it works. I have had the same results both warming in the oven and in the microwave.

3-bizcard

Maybe if you don't have a crock pot for Sue's method you could wrap them in foil and while the oven is pre-heating put a pan of water in there to create steam and the rolls would steam rather than dry bake producing a softer, moister roll.

Lorigoldsby

Love the crock pot idea! I use my crock pot trio to hold the potatoes, noodles and gravy...but for the rolls...I rub a little bit of water on the top and sprinkle a little kosher salt on them, wrap in foil...weird that the water adds moisture but the salt "cisps" them and adds a nice "chewiness"--very unlike the micro method result.

Farmer's_market

The crockpot method sounds promising and exactly the kind of forgiving solution I need, but unfortunately I don't have one. Steam via a pan of water in the oven also makes sense...if I can clear some space in there. Sprinkling with water, or laying a damp cloth over them, always helps, but I'm thinking my fundamental problem remains being more vigilant about rewarming time in the oven. Maybe I should just put my daughter on roll detail.