CHILL YOUR WINE—BY THE GLASS. SHOP WINE PEARLS »

A question about a recipe: Russ Parsons' Dry-Brined Turkey (a.k.a. The Judy Bird)

3c8efe8b 201e 4bdb b436 a075cf5b4db5  2014 1030 judy bird on platter mid 036

I have a question about the ingredient "Kosher salt" on the recipe "Russ Parsons' Dry-Brined Turkey (a.k.a. The Judy Bird)" from Genius Recipes. Would 'real salt' be ok to use, or do I need to purchase salt labeled as Kosher Salt? Thanks!

asked by AllisonP over 4 years ago
39bc764f 7859 45d4 9e95 fc5774280613  headshot 2.0 crop

Table salt is finer than kosher salt, so teaspoon for teaspoon, you will end up with more granules of salt and the end product will be saltier. Russ Parsons recommends reducing the amount to 2 teaspoons per every five pounds of turkey for more finely ground salts like regular table salt. Hope you enjoy the Judy Bird!

Dcca139f 78d5 41a3 b57b 6d6c96424a1c  img 7818

Hi AllisonP -- I'd recommend kosher salt for the brine. To use table salt, you'd need to find a conversion chart online to convert 1 T diamond kosher salt to an equivalent amount of table salt. That said, I find the taste of kosher salt to be better and would recommend it here. If you can't find Diamond and end up with another brand (e.g., Morton's), make sure you look up the conversion. (Not all kosher salts are created equally.)