🔎

Overload of fresh tomatoes in my kitchen. Is it ever OK to store some in the fridge? Produce goes from ripe to soft so quickly in this hot weather...Thanks, Liz

Newliztoqueicon-2
Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

Yes, it just stalls the ripening. I've held fruit and tomatoes for a few days in the fridge.

Miglore

Kristen is the Senior Editor of Food52

If you're going to use them for a sauce or other cooked preparation, this shouldn't be a problem at all -- I've only noticed a slightly mealier texture after refrigeration when eating them raw, in salads, etc.

Ozoz_profile
Kitchen Butterfly added over 3 years ago

Kristen is spot on - refrigeration changes the taste and texture of tomatoes but if you'll cook them, it'll be fine

Christine-28_small(1)
cheese1227 added over 3 years ago

A friend told me yesterday that you can freeze whole tomatoes in abundance now on a cookie sheet, then once frozen, put them in a bag in the deep freeze and then take them out at a later date and start the sauce-making process from there say, like on a cold wintery day when you have nothing else to do. Has anyone tired that method?

sygyzy added over 3 years ago

Sure, store in fridge, no problem. Also consider oven roasting them.

Dsc03010
betteirene added over 3 years ago

cheese1227, yes, this is a nice little trick to have in your bag. I cut the tomatoes in half, scoop out most of the pulp with the crook of my little finger, throw the seedless halves in a zipper bag and then freeze them. After they're frozen, the skins slip right off if you let them thaw slightly, and if you let them thaw a little bit more, it's easy to dice them into same-size pieces. Don't use all of the tomatoes for sauce--keep a few bags and break off a tomato or two to add to soups or chili, or use a couple of them to make salsa on Super Bowl Sunday.

mr.ikslopot added over 3 years ago

You could always can them.