🔎

Ancient Cuisinart Works Great But Looks Terrible...

My Cuisinart is nearing its 20th birthday and the white plastic exterior is decidedly yellow. Is there a safe way to "bleach" it without destroying the plastic?

2010-09-15_14.22.07
3-bizcard

I got a new shiny silver one but still have my old white (yellow) work horse that I use. I have tried clorox clean up, those Mr. Clean magic erasers and its still yellowish, the clorox clean up helped a little. I just say its off white or almond now.

2010-09-15_14.22.07
calendargirl added over 2 years ago

Thanks, sdebrango! I will give the Clorox a try.

Buddhacat
SKK added over 2 years ago

The yellow is just the patina of an item that has served you well. Think of it being on Antiques Road Show in 100 years from now. Clean it up and you will cut the value in half. :) And think of the time you will save!

amysarah added over 2 years ago

Clorox might help a bit - its old school cleaning powers are still hard to beat. Anyway, I agree with SKK about the patina. My Cuisinart is the same vintage and it's sort of a sentimental artifact. I got it when I first had kids and it's seen battle in every serious meal I've cooked here, from birthdays to Thanksgivings to college graduation celebrations. It's starting to be a bit wonky and to be honest - though I know the new ones have better features/capacity - I'll be sad to see it go. (Too much attachment - no pun - to a hunk of plastic/metal? Eh, don't get me started on my inherited, far from perfect-looking, Crueset pots. I actually believe those have ancient magical powers.)

3-bizcard

I agree amysarah, I have had my old white one for a very long time and it has served me well. I got the new 16 cup super duper cuisinart and I love it but cannot get rid of the old workhorse, I still use it every day to grind veggies for my dogs and its still going strong. There is a sentimental attachment for the old tried and true. The clorox helps a bit but it will never be white again.

Buddhacat
SKK added over 2 years ago

amysarah, your Crueset pots do have magical powers. I am sure of it! Loving this question, I am looking at my old beloved kitchen items in a new way. Have a wooden salad bowl that is 40 years old and survived a house fire, hurricane, a flood and 17 moves, not to mention salads. (My Cusinart is only 10 years old, and still a baby.)

Dsc_0048b
healthierkitchen added over 2 years ago

I have the same one! Mine works fine too, and I only replaced it because I was missing the stem and replacing it was going to cost almost as much as a new machine. If I was ambitious, I'd have haunted yard sales for a used one for parts. I do like my new super size one which when you pour out the contents, the blade doesn't fall out too...

2010-09-15_14.22.07
calendargirl added over 2 years ago

I have had good luck finding parts for coffee makers and for my yellow Cuisinart from these suppliers: <a href="http://www.thegourmetdepotco.com/cuisinart/food-processors/parts-accessories/" target="_blank">http://www.thegourmetdepotco.com/cuisinart/food-processors/parts-accessories/</a> (formerly called Culinary Parts Unlimited and now part of The Gourmet Depot) <a href="http://www.ereplacementparts.com/" target="_blank">http://www.ereplacementparts.com/</a> Sometimes the cost of a new needed part is ridiculous, but sometimes I have been pleasantly surprised..

Dsc_0048b
healthierkitchen added over 2 years ago

I saved the "yellow" one thinking one of my kids will want it - the regular function works fine! the replacement stem was $40 when I looked

2010-09-15_14.22.07
calendargirl added over 2 years ago

Thank you, all, for your wisdom! SKK and amysarah, you are absolutely right, and I love your thinking on this. Funny, I am more forgiving of aspects of my own "patina" (grey hair here, wrinkle there) than of the yellow on my beloved kitchen companion. Not sure what that means. Anyway, I will embrace the yellow!