A question about a recipe: Meta Given's Pumpkin Pie

Food52_11-15-11-7824

I have a question about the recipe "Meta Given's Pumpkin Pie" from Genius Recipes. I have glass pie dishes. For the crust, when you say "blind bake it a little," how long do you recommend? I'd hate to make this lovely pie only to have a soggy crust.

asked by eatingandediting almost 3 years ago
Miglore

Kristen is the Executive Editor of Food52

Fair question -- we haven't tested it this way, but here's what we'd recommend: Blind bake at 350 for 7 minutes with the baking beans/weights, then 5 minutes without, then cool thoroughly. Then just watch the pie closely as it bakes -- it might be done early, since the cold raw crust isn't there to protect it. And if the edges are starting to look wrinkled while the middle is very jiggly, turn the heat down to 350. I'll try this too on the big day, and we can compare notes!

3-bizcard

I was going to ask the same question, I always use either glass or ceramic pie pans, what happens if you use glass but do not blind bake? Is the crust a soggy mess? Is it because of the high heat and shorter baking time? What if you use the recipe but bake as usual for pumpkin pie start it out at 425 for 15 min then lower to 350. Do you think it would work with this recipe in a glass pie pan?