🔔
🔎

A question about a recipe: Russ Parsons' Dry-Brined Turkey (a.k.a. The Judy Bird)

2014-1030_judy-bird-on-platter_mid-036

I just did the dry brine now for a 16lb bird. My question is how long should I roast it for if I have only 36 hours until I need to start cooking? The recipe says 3.75 hours if you brine it for 3 days but since I'm brining for half that basically, should I be roasting for longer? I was hoping to eat around 430pm on Thxgiving so if I put it in at 12noon would that be good? Thanks, as you can tell I'm a novice.

asked by sule about 3 years ago
Miglore

Kristen is the Executive Editor of Food52

Your roasting time shouldn't change, but you should keep a close eye on the turkey and monitor the temperature (165 in the fleshy part of the thigh) to make sure it doesn't overcook -- since you're brining for a shorter time, it will be less forgiving if you overcook it. Putting it in at noon sounds about right, since it'll need to rest at least 30 minutes before carving. Hope you like it!