A question about a recipe: Russ Parsons' Dry-Brined Turkey (a.k.a. The Judy Bird)

I have a question about step 7 on the recipe "Russ Parsons' Dry-Brined Turkey (a.k.a. The Judy Bird)" from Genius Recipes. It says:

"Pat it dry one last time and baste with melted butter, if using. Place the turkey breast-side down on a roasting rack in a roasting pan; put it in the oven. After 30 minutes, remove the pan from the oven and carefully turn the turkey over so the breast is facing up (it's easiest to do this by hand, using kitchen towels or oven mitts)."

I bought a foil roasting pan that does not include a roasting rack. Will this work okay? Do I need to adjust cooking time at all?

asked by BobLoblaw almost 3 years ago
Federicocooking

i also bought a foil roasting pan and found a rack that I usually use to cool pies that fits exactly inside of it. Try to find something that will raise the turkey off the bottom of the foil pan so that it doesn't cook in its own juices.

Steph
Stephanie Bourgeois

Stephanie is the Head Recipe Tester of Food52.

Federico's suggestion should work. If you don't have a roasting rack you could always improvise and raise the turkey up on a bed of vegetables. Plus, then you will have delicious roasted veggies.