🔎

• 4

• 1493

Why doesn't my bread rise

Open-uri20130707-11380-12rhn45
P1030880_2
Taiyyaba added over 2 years ago

The dough or the final product? If the dough - Several possibilities - your yeast may be too old (test by just mixing with a 1/4 cup water and leaving it for a while to see if it foams), or it may not be warm enough where you're trying to rise. Yeast can also be killed if you put too-hot water on it. The final bread won't rise if the dough didn't rise enough.

It also won't rise if you left the yeast out entirely, which I've done a couple of times - just a little too much multi-tasking ; )) Check the expiration date on your yeast to be sure it's still viable.

Phina added over 2 years ago

Too much yeast would cause a rise & collapse, or too much salt could prevent a good rise.

Cannizzo added over 2 years ago

Or no sugar a little sugar is like food for your yeast and your water has to be a little more then warm I keep my yeast in the fridge even when in powder form