Author Notes: This is a savory tart with a gluten free crust made from brown rice. Broccoli and caramelized brown onions make up the filling, but this can be adapted seasonally. - themuffinmyth
Brown Rice Crust
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2/3 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 egg
- Grease a shallow tart pan (1.5 inches deep, 10 inches in diameter). Preheat oven to 400 F / 200 C.
- In a medium bowl, mix together rice, egg, and cheese.
- With clean wet hands, press rice mixture into prepared tart shell, spreading evenly along the bottom and up the sides.
- Bake crust for 15 min. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- medium red onion, sliced
- 1 head of broccoli
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Sautee onions until softened and slightly brown.
- Chop broccoli into bite sized pieces. Toss in skillet with onions. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add broccoli mixture into cooled tart shell, distributing evenly.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs and milk together.
- Pour egg custard over broccoli mixture.
- Sprinkle tart with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 400 F / 200 C for 20 - 30 min, until cheese has browned and egg custard has set. Cool slightly before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Late Winter Tart (Sweet or Savory)