Author Notes: In high school I had a friend from Greece, and if I helped her with her English homework, her mom would feed me. That was a good deal. Sadly, she returned to Greece and probably didn't learn much English grammar from me, but hey, I came out with recipes.
This is also pretty much my go to recipe for entertaining vegetarians or potlucks including vegetarians, since all my Southern recipes seem to include bacon grease... - PeachyCallahan
Serves 4-6, depending on if you're making an entree or a side
- 2 medium eggplants
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 1/2-3 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Slice your eggplants in 1/2" slices.
- Place eggplant in a baking dish. Brush both sides with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. broil on both sides until lightly browned, about 10 minutes on each side.
- While the eggplant is browning, prepare the sauce. Saute garlic and onion in 1/4 cup olive oil.
- Add tomatoes, salt, and pepper to the saute pan. Simmer until sauce is thickened.
- Remove eggplant from the oven and set your oven to 375 degrees.
- Spoon sauce over eggplant slices. Sprinkle with feta and parsley and drizzle with additional olive oil.Return to preheated oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve as a side dish or with basmati for a vegetarian entree.