If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: With just about one cup of fresh ricotta left and a mountain of egg whites I had one more experiment left in me today. I had just made a sheet of meringues for a future project. And then I decided to whip up a batch of chocolate meringues. Having just made an Italian version of baked Alaska with merging some ricotta recipes, the image of Mont Blanc was on my mind. So I just this dessert with some chocolate ricotta. At first I made the meringue chocolate, too, as picturee. But then I decided to add more cocoa to the ricotta pudding to make it more intense, but then wanted to keep the meringue pure white. Instead of all purpose flour, I used chestnut flour to the pudding.. And to give maple syrup a rest I used mostly honey for sweetener. This can make a striking presentation. - Sagegreen
Serves 1 pie sized pudding
- 3 jumbo eggs, separated, room temperature
- 4 additional egg whites, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar. divided
- 1/2 teaspoon excellent vanilla, divided
- 3 tablespoons dark cocoa, divided
- 1/8 cup honey, acacia
- 1/8 cup fresh maple syrup (or honey)
- 1 tablespoon chestnut flour
- 12 ounces fresh ricotta
- pinch of sea salt, divided
- In a bowl beat three egg yolks and one egg white together with the ricotta, tint bit of salt, 2 tbl. of cocoa and the honey with the maple syrup. Stir in and blend the chestnut flour. Preheat oven to 325.
- Whip three egg whites together. Slowly add half a pinch of salt, 1/2 sugar, 1 tbl cocoa and half the vanilla. Beat until peaks hold their form just like a mountain.
- Pour the ricotta mixture into a shallow baking dish like a pie or flan plate. Top with the whipped whites. Place this dish in a larger pan. Fill with hot water until the level is midway up the side of the pie plate. Bake for about 35 minutes.
- Beat three more egg whites together with other half of the sugar, the other half of the vanilla with a tad of salt until you have stiff peaks. (In the photos I had also added 1 tbl. of cocoa to this meringue, but have instead decided to leave it white, unlike what you see pictured.)
- Take the pudding out of the oven after it has baked 35 minutes. Increase the oven temp to 350. Lather on the new the meringue on top of the hot pudding. Bake (without the water bath pan) until the whites turn golden brown, about 10-15 minutes. Let cool. Serve warm or chilled.
Tags: comfort food
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Fresh Ricotta
Chop to It
Salad with one rule: chop it real good.
Let's get chopping.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Macerated strawberries, with a twist.
Rock the roast.
This is poppin'.