If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I LOVE working with butternut squash! Roasting adds great flavor, and the resulting mash is great served as a side dish, but it can also be stirred into risotto, pureed into soup or even folded into ravioli! For a great soup, instead of mashing the squash, puree it with 2-3 cups of chicken stock, 1 garlic clove & ¼ olive oil. Season to taste with salt & pepper. Simmer stove top for about 10 minutes. Enjoy! - The Domestic Diva
Serves 4 people
- 1 butternut squash, halved and seeded
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, plus extra sprigs for garnishing
- 1 tablespoon butter
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Rub the interior of the squash with cardamom, thyme, chili flakes and the olive oil. Sprinkle with salt & pepper.
- Place the squash face down in a roasting pan and fill the pan with 1/2 inch of water. Poke holes in the skin on the outside of the squash with a fork or knife.
- Place the squash in the oven and roast for approximately 45 minutes, or until the squash is soft and cooked through. Cooking time may vary depending on the size of the squash.
- Remove from the oven and allow the squash to cool. Once it’s cool enough to handle, using a spoon, scoop out the flesh from the skins and place in a bowl.
- Add the butter and mash up the squash with a fork. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve, warm the butternut squash mash in a double boiler or by placing a glass or metal bowl over a pot of simmering water. Stir until evenly warmed. Spoon into a serving bowl or onto a plate and garnish by sticking a sprig of thyme into the mash. Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Autumn Vegetable Puree
This burger's all that and a bag of barbecue-flavored chips.
Wildcard Winner: Texas Tailgate Burger
Prep your pans for perfection.
Behind the scenes.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Stop the soap opera.