Author Notes: Following the course of the CharcutePalooza year long challenge, I tried this fantastic sauerkraut recipe. So perfect on Reuben sandwiches. - The Whiskey Chicken
- 17 cups water
- 3/4 cups kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 head green cabbage, shredded
- Combine water and salt in a medium saucepan.
- Simmer until dissolved. Cool, then chill.
- Combine cabbage, brine, and caraway in a nonreactive conatiner.
- Fill a large plastic resealable bag with water. Place over top of container so cabbage is completely submerged.
- Place container in a cool dark place for 2 weeks, longer for a stronger flavor.
- Strain brining liquid into medium saucepan. Bring to boil, cool.
- Combine with sauerkraut and keep in refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.