Author Notes: My new son Evan very obligingly took a 30 min nap that allowed me just enough to make this (then quickly scarf it down as he threatened to start waking up - oh well). This recipe fits the bill for my new life with a baby: quick to cook with minimal washing up and plenty of left overs for later. It's also extremely delicious, you could really use any combo of vegetables you fancy, but this combination of leeks, mushrooms and squash go perfectly with the creamy, melty dollops of ricotta. Perfect hot but also awesome chilled for a picnic. - cooklynveg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 leek, washed and sliced
- 2 handfuls of mushrooms, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- 5 medium eggs
- 3 tablespoons ricotta cheese
- 1 slice Emmental or other swiss cheese
- 1 pinch, salt and pepper
- preheat the grill/broiler. place a large frying pan over a medium heat, add the olive oil, then the leek, mushrooms and garlic. Saute for about 5 mins until the vegetables begin to color. Add the butternut squash, salt and pepper and stir to mix. Cover with a lid and cook gently until the squash is tender (about 15 mins).
- meanwhile whisk the eggs and 2 tablespoons of the ricotta together in a bowl. Add the egg mixture to the pan of vegetables and add little dollops of the remaining ricotta. Allow to cook over a low heat for about 6 - 7 mins until the eggs are almost set. Scatter the chopped swiss cheese on top and transfer the pan to the grill/broiler for about 3-4 mins until fully cooked and the cheese is melted.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Fresh Ricotta