Author Notes: What I love about this recipe is that it gives you that sweet, salty, herb punch that I happen to crave. Be forewarned that this project can get pretty messy around the kitchen. Don’t even think about wearing anything white, and have a towel on hand to keep beet juices from running around the counter tops off the cutting board. An apron will be useful too, or maybe your yard-work duds. Okay, maybe I’m being a little dramatic. - Happyolks
Makes 4-5 servings
- 3 golden beets
- 3 red beets
- 8 carrots, cut into sticks
- 4-6 cloves of garlic, 2 minced
- 2-4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups cubed multigrain baguette
- 1/2 cup goat cheese
- dashes salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425F. Wrap beets with a splash of water, olive oil, lemon juice, 2 sprigs of thyme, a few cloves of garlic, salt and pepper tightly in foil with skin, then roast 1 hour .
- Carefully unwrap, and when cool, rub off skins with a paper towel and discard. Chop beets into 1/2″ cubes and transfer to a bowl. When there is about 15 minutes left on the timer for the beets, toss carrots and chopped bread with olive oil, garlic, and a little lemon in a bowl, then bake on a cookie sheet with parchment paper until the timer runs out.
- As soon as you pull the beets out, switch the oven over to broil mode and move the carrots to the top rack. As the beets cool, keep a close eye on the oven to make sure things don’t go up in flames. The carrots should be slightly browned and the croutons crispy.
- When all the components are done, mix together well in a large bowl with goat cheese and extra leaves of thyme and some s/p to taste. Viola. Soft, buttery beets and carrots, crispy croutons, and creamy goat cheese. Bon Appetite! For more photos/details please visit: http://tinyurl.com/5rhw82h
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Root Vegetable Side