If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it
Author Notes: I wanted to call this a lasagna, but technically it isn't. Thinly sliced beets replace pasta in this simple yet elegant dish. Fresh ricotta, stirred up with basil, garlic and cheese, is smeared between the beets, adding a creamy background redolent of pesto. I prefer the milder, nuttier yellow beet for this recipe, but red works as well - especially if you prefer pink ricotta. - TasteFood - TasteFood
Food52 Review: This dish combines a ricotta filling and sliced yellow beets into something deliciously akin to lasagna. The ricotta and basil filling is a perfect accompaniment to the sweet and earthy tasting beets. The lemon adds a perfect amount of bright flavor. My husband and I polished off the entire batch in one sitting—it's that tasty! My only piece of advice for making this is to test your beet slices for tenderness when boiling them; they do not soften much during the baking stage. This dish makes a great side or even a light main course, and I will be serving it again! - hardlikearmour
- 1 1/2 pound yellow beets (4 large or 8 small)
- Juice and zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1 cup fresh ricotta
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup finely shredded basil leaves, loosely packed - plus extra for garnish
- 1/4 cup - plus 2 tablespoons finely grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Trim and peel beets. Slice very thinly crosswise with a mandoline or knife. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the beet slices. Cook until tender but firm, 2-3 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water. Blot dry with a kitchen towel. Place in a bowl, sprinkle and toss with fresh lemon juice.
- Combine lemon zest, ricotta, garlic, basil, 1/4 cup pecorino cheese, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Arrange beets in one layer, slightly overlapping, in a small earthenware or gratin dish. Smear some of the ricotta over the beets. Repeat layering process, finishing with ricotta on the top. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons cheese. Bake until beets are tender and cheese is bubbly, about 30 minutes. Serve garnished with fresh basil leaves.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Fresh Ricotta