If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Barbara, an Australian friend, makes some very nice chicken burgers, which my husband loves. I have tried them but I always find them a little bit difficult to digest because of the added raw oninon. I changed the recipe and in the process added some shredded carrots and sweet potato to make them less dry and chewy. This is my version that both the grandchildren and we like. They are a bit longer to make but worth giving them a try. They freeze really well (before cooking) so it's worth making a double batch. Feel free to serve with french fries with a bit of extra mustard and garlic mayonnaise on the side! —Maria Teresa Jorge
Mustard & Garlic Mayonnaise
- 1 egg yolk, room temperature
- 1 whole egg, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons mustard Dijon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1 garlic clove small
- 1 cup Vegetable oil - high quality
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons White Wine
- 1 pound Chicken meat ground (no bones and no skin)
- 1/2 cup carrot, raw and shredded
- 1/2 cup sweet potato, raw, shredded
- 3 shallots small, chopped thinly
- 1 garlic clove, chopped thinly
- 3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped finely
- 2 teaspoons ginger, fresh, grated
- 2 teaspoons whole grain mustard
- 1/4 cup walnuts or pecans finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil - for cooking
- 4 burger buns
- 4 tomato slices
- 4 lettuce leaves
- For the Mayonnaise: In a beaker (the ones that come with the immersion hand held blender) add the egg yolk, the whole egg (must be at room temperature), a pinch of salt and the lemon juice. Mix with the hand held blender. Start drizzling the vegetable oil very slowly keeping the blender on. When the cup of vegetable oil is finished the mixture should be quite thick.
- Add the garlic and the mustard and mix well. Start mixing the olive oil, drizzle slowly with the blender on until it becomes very thick. Add the white wine and freshly ground pepper and taste for salt. When finished, transfer to a clean glass jar and keep chilled.
- For the burgers: Ask your butcher to grind the chicken meat for you (only one grinding). IThe first ones I made I used a food processor and the meat came out like purée and really sticky so now I always use ground chicken.
- Peel and shredd the carrot finely. Peel and shredd the sweet potato finely. Wash the sweet potato of it's startch and dry.
- Chop the shallots finely. Remove the skin from the garlic, slice it in half and remove the green fibrous part from the middle. Chopp the garli very finely.
- In a small pan, over moderate heat, add the olive oil. When warm add the shallots and sweat them. Add the carrot, sweet potato and garlic, stir well. Add 2 tablespoons of water and a pinch of salt, stir. Cover with lid, lower heat and let simmer for 7 minutes. Set aside and let cool completely before using.
- In a bowl add the ground chicken, the grated ginger, the parsley, the mustard, salt and freshly ground pepper, preferably Sichuan for its lemony taste, the chopped nuts, the poppy seeds and mix well with your hands. Add the cold carrot, sweet potato and shallot mixture, and mix well. Taste for seasoning. When ready, cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- Divide the mixture in 4 equal parts, make the burger patties and set aside. At this point you can freeze them.
- Brush each burger pattie with olive oil on both sides. Put a skillet over moderate heat to warm up. Grill one side, keep temperature moderate, chicken needs to cook through. When nice and golden, turn and grill on the other side. Do not turn them over more then once or they will become chewy and rubbery.
- Serve them in a bun with a lettuce leaf and a slice of tomato. Pour a good dollop of Mustard/Garlic Mayonnaise and serve immediately. They go really well with sweet potatoes home made french fries sprinkled with fleur de sel.
- You can also serve them with a simple green salad.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chicken with Mustard
Recipe of the Day
Easy as pie—seriously
Recipe of the Day
A case for cooked fruit.
It's time to travel.
We need your help!
Off to market.