If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Amaranth is an extremely tiny, yet extremely nutritious seed that cooks up like a grain (like quinoa). It is gluten-free and high in protein, calcium and magnesium. It has a really interesting flavor, and I really enjoyed it in this amaranth tabouli.This tabouli (aka tabbouleh) recipe is adapted from one I saw in Saveur Magazine. I love how heavy it is on the parsley and the mint, and the addition of cinnamon drew me in, as well. The Saveur recipe also calls for allspice, but I didn't have any, so left it out. - WinnieAb - WinnieAb
Food52 Review: I have never eaten, purchased or cooked with amaranth before, and now I am a convert. This tabouli has it all – the nuttiness from the grain minus the sometimes overly chewy quality of a classic wheat tabouli. We (several friends tested with us) love that it has the freshness of the tomato, herb and lemon, and then there is that subtle back note of cinnamon that makes it really special. Delicious! - aargersi - aargersi
- 1 cup amaranth
- 1/2 cups water
- 3-4 tomatoes, cored and chopped
- 2 cups chopped/minced parsley (get it as fine as you have the desire/patience for)
- 2 cups chopped/minced fresh mint (same as above)
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice, plus more to taste
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, plus more to taste
- generous pinch of ground cinnamon, plus more to taste
- Heat amaranth in a skillet over low heat, stirring constantly, until the grains start to pop and the amaranth is fragrant (1-2 minutes). Transfer to a small pot and add the water. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes until most, if not all, of the liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and allow to rest for 5 minutes, covered.
- Cool the cooked amaranth, then combine with the rest of the ingredients. Stir well to combine, taste for seasonings, and serve.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
Dumplings, No Recipe Required
Dumplings for one, dumplings for all.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Gluten-Free Strawberry Tart
Eclectic Truffle Chocolate Bars
Cuban-inspired recipes to cook now.