If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Black-eyed peas - they are my all-time absolute favorite legumes. This salad is different every time I make it. Black-eyed peas are the only constant. - friendlyoaks
Makes 4 cups
- 3 cups cooked black-eyed peas
- 1/3 cup chopped black olives
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 1/3 cup chopped peppers (use red, green, fresh, canned, jarred, pickled, hot, mild - according to your own taste)
- 1/3 cup vinaigrette dressing
- 1 chopped tomato, cored and seeded (optional)
- 1 sliced avocado (optional)
- Add or subtract ingredients and quantities to your taste. Gently mix it all together and chill.
- Possible additions and substitutions include cooked hominy, green olives, red onion, chopped cilantro and/or parsley, purchased Italian dressing, a creamy dressing, sour cream, small cubes of cheese.
Cooked Black-Eyed Peas
- Dried black-eyed peas
- Bay leaf
- Small onion, cut into quarters
- Black peppercorns (count how many you put in!!!)
- A small dried hot pepper
- A garlic clove, sliced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Cured or salted meat or meat bones (optional)
- Pick through the dried peas and rinse them.
- Soak them overnight (or all day) in water to cover by about 2 inches.
- Drain and rinse the peas. Put them in a pot. Add water in double the volume of peas.
- Boil for about 10 minutes, skimming off any foam.
- Lower the heat and add everything but the salt. Partially cover and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Once the peas have started to become tender, add salt to taste and continue cooking until tender but not mushy.
- Let them cool in their broth. Then retrieve things like bay leaves, peppercorns, onion, and peppers. (This is why it is important to count the peppercorns or maybe tie them in cheesecloth.) Strain (reserving the stock for another use) and the peas are ready to use!
- This will make about 3 cups of cooked peas per cup of dried peas.