Author Notes: I put this together on an impossibly hot day during the summer a bit before my aunt, cousin, and her son arrived in Fire Island. It hit the spot being refreshingly cool and filling at the same time. We ate it with some crisp, dry champagne. - testkitchenette - testkitchenette
Food52 Review: I was excited to test Summer Thai Inspired Salad as I frequently make my own version of this with steak replacing the shrimp and a much simpler dressing. This dressing comes together in a snap in the blender. I added the water in stages to get the right consistency as my mango was very juicy and so just over 1/4 cup of water was all that was needed. Since we like things fiery, I added half a jalapeno left over from the marinade for the veggies. I used arugula and Napa cabbage for my greens, they provided a nice crunchy base for the flavorful marinated veggies, sauteed shrimp (no grill in my city apartment) and sweet, slightly spicy dressing. With minimal cooking and fast easy prep, this is a perfect light meal for a crazy hot summer day. - MGrace - MGrace
Marinated Vegetables and Dressing
- 1 cup brown rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 Thai chiles/1 jalapeno, finely chopped
- 3 carrots, julienned
- 2 zucchini, julienned
- 2 red/orange/yellow peppers, julienned
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 peaches or 1 mango, pitted (I peeled the mango but not the peaches)
- 1 shallot, peeled
- 1/2 avocado
- 2 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 3/4 cups water
- 1 handful fresh cilantro
- VEGETABLE MARINADE: Combine the brown rice vinegar through to peppers (first 8 ingredients) in a bowl and let sit for an hour. When ready to assemble the salad, you will be removing the vegetables from the marinade. I usually reserve the marinade, puree it, and use it in dressings over the week.
- DRESSING: Combine in a blender until smooth.
- 1 head romaine, cut into ribbons
- 3-4 handfuls arugula/spinach/lettuce of your choice
- 1 handful fresh basil, roll into cigar shape and cut thin ribbons
- 1 handful fresh mint, chopped
- 1 pound grilled shrimp or lump crabmeat
- 1 peach or mango (chop the peach and julienne the mango)
- WHOLE SALAD ASSEMBLY: In a large wide bowl, combine the romaine, lettuce of your choice, basil, and mint. Lightly toss the marinated vegetables with the salad ingredients.
- Put the grilled shrimp or crabmeat on top and dress the whole salad with the dressing. Lightly toss and serve.