If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: As a half-Danish family, all of these ingredients in this pâté are right up our alley. In Denmark, smoked fish is commonly eaten on a slice of bread as an open-face sandwich, with much attention paid to presentation and garnish. This is a more rustic rendition, where mackerel is puréed with the ingredients for a creamy pâté, then spread on crusty baguette slices. Be sure to include a dill sprig as garnish, along with an extra pinch of horseradish - both of these ingredients complement each other well. - TasteFood - TasteFood
Food52 Review: If you like dill and smoked fish, then this is a dish for you. It’s a lovely, simple recipe; easy to throw together for last-minute guests or prepare well in advance! If you like, but don't love dill, simply lower the quantity as it’s quite dill-centric. I added an extra tablespoon of lemon juice. Tasty! - thehappycook - thehappycook
Makes about 1 1/2 cups
- 8 ounces smoked mackerel (or trout), skin and bones removed
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons finely grated fresh horseradish, plus extra for garnish
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- Baguette slices
- Dill sprigs for garnish
- Combine the mackerel, cream cheese, horseradish, lemon juice and black pepper in bowl of food processor. Process until consistency is light and smooth. (If too thick, add additional lemon juice.) Refrigerate until serving. (May be prepared up to 4 hours in advance.) Just before serving, stir in chopped dill.
- To serve, smear on baguette slices. Sprinkle with fresh horseradish and garnish with a dill sprig.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Horseradish
A Better Way to Prepare Asparagus
Plus a genius dressing.
A better way to prepare asparagus.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
Freshen up for spring.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Drink better coffee.